Menu

Working from Home while Homeschooling

sweetpea3829

I'm positive this has come up before, so if somebody can point me to threads where this is discussed, I'd greatly appreciate it.

But otherwise...

My husband would like to return to school and obtain his Journeyman's license.  It requires starting an apprenticeship, which would result in a paycut of $7/hr.  Not to mention, he'd lose the fantastic medical and retirement benefits he has in his current profession.  

But the sacrifice would be worth it because, after five years, he'd finally be able to have the career he's always wanted, and his income would be significantly higher than it is now.  

But making this sacrifice would necessitate some big changes for our family.  Specifically, I would need to make an income from home.  

I'm not good at those "party" type selling things...you know the Bags, or Mary Kay, or Tupperware.  Plus, there isn't a market for that around here.  Our community is primarily Mennonite and they don't typically splurge, especially on bags, lol.  

Any legitimate ideas?  Data entry, or some kind of transcription would be ideal...but finding legitimate job ops is proving difficult.  

If you have a BA and any teaching experience at all you can apply to Pearson Scoring Solutions; the work is not regular (maybe a total of 12 weeks a year, max) but when it is on the pay is pretty good ($30/hr or so).

Do you know how to make anything?  What are your skills/hobbies/education?

If you have a BA and any teaching experience at all you can apply to Pearson Scoring Solutions; the work is not regular (maybe a total of 12 weeks a year, max) but when it is on the pay is pretty good ($30/hr or so).

can you tell me the link to look this up?

http://www.virtualofficeva.com/apply.html

I do this. It is a pain some days and some of the investors are harder to work with than others, but it is a dependable pay check. Plus, starting pay is 9.00/hour, which is more than you'd make with some companies that you'd have to leave home for work. It does not require anything other than a phone and a computer.

I do actually have a bachelors in education and could tutor and/or take on another homeschool student.  In fact, I had a parent from our church approach me a week ago and ask me if I would take her daughter on.  But I declined because for this year and next, I have three of my four that are not independent.  My oldest has significant learning disabilities and requires constant redirection.  My youngest two are not independent with schoolwork yet.  This other mom's daughter also has LDs and adding her in would have been too much.  

I'm SO not a crafty person, lol.  I do have a lot of experience with call center work, as I spent three years working for Citizen's Bank customer service call center in RI.  So there's that, lol.  

Transcription could be a good option for you.  How are your typing skills?

My typing skills are excellent and I think transcription would be a good option, but finding legitimate work has been difficult.  There are SO many scams out there.  

http://www.virtualofficeva.com/apply.html

I do this. It is a pain some days and some of the investors are harder to work with than others, but it is a dependable pay check. Plus, starting pay is 9.00/hour, which is more than you'd make with some companies that you'd have to leave home for work. It does not require anything other than a phone and a computer.

By phone, do you mean it requires a land line?  We don't currently have one, but that can be addressed easily enough.  We are rural and our internet options minimal.  But satellite internet has been consistent for us, and fast enough.  I wonder if that would be sufficient for them?

My typing skills are excellent and I think transcription would be a good option, but finding legitimate work has been difficult.  There are SO many scams out there.  

Here are a couple of forums for you to check out: Transcription Essentials and Transcription Haven.

There's a ton of valuable info there.  Also, this is the company I type for.  They are in need of transcriptionists now.  I've also worked for this company in the past.  They are a good one, too.  HTH!

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/careers.html

That is the link for Pearson.

I worked for them for several years; the good thing is that they pay by performance, so if you're a fast reader/scorer you can make more, and it's easy to do with kids around as you can score for 5 minutes then stop for 20 minutes then work for 7 more, etc. 

The bad thing is there is no guarantee of work at any point; projects only last 2 weeks or so and then you don't know when the next one will be.  I'd say the max you can make (scoring English and reading, anyway), in one year would be $10,000 if you are diligent, but this would only involve a total of 2-3 months of work, split up into various weeks.

And also I should say the pay is not regular: they kind of estimate how much to pay per score submitted, and sometimes they get it right and sometimes wrong.  So there are projects where you'll work for the minimum ($12/hour, normally), but not many.  There are also some where you can make $70/hour (but those never last more than 5-10 days, as everyone on the project is working furiously) :)  I'd say average is, for a very fast reader, $30/hr, and for an average reader maybe $17 or so.  After working for a fair amount of time, as long as you are looking for work in the off-periods you can apply for unemployment (laid off for lack of work).  It's kind of complicated but it was a good system for a bit of a second income from home while taking care of littles.

Here are a couple of forums for you to check out: Transcription Essentials and Transcription Haven.

There's a ton of valuable info there.  Also, this is the company I type for.  They are in need of transcriptionists now.  I've also worked for this company in the past.  They are a good one, too.  HTH!

Thanks so much!  

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/careers.html

That is the link for Pearson.

I worked for them for several years; the good thing is that they pay by performance, so if you're a fast reader/scorer you can make more, and it's easy to do with kids around as you can score for 5 minutes then stop for 20 minutes then work for 7 more, etc. 

The bad thing is there is no guarantee of work at any point; projects only last 2 weeks or so and then you don't know when the next one will be.  I'd say the max you can make (scoring English and reading, anyway), in one year would be $10,000 if you are diligent, but this would only involve a total of 2-3 months of work, split up into various weeks.

Thanks!  I put in an application with them...we'll see what comes of it!  Reading and writing were always my strongest subjects soooo...here's hoping!

I work for tutor.com as an English tutor. It's an online tutoring service. It doesn't pay as much as private tutoring, but I don't have to find my own students and deal with cancellations, which I've had to do before.

By phone, do you mean it requires a land line?  We don't currently have one, but that can be addressed easily enough.  We are rural and our internet options minimal.  But satellite internet has been consistent for us, and fast enough.  I wonder if that would be sufficient for them?

You can either use a landline, or you can use a headset to make calls form your computer. As long as you don't have an issues with things with your internet connection failing, I don't see why it would be a problem.

Interesting.  There are days when I'm so bored at home, I feel like I should have something to do.

LOL, well, boredom is NEVER a problem around here.  Taking on a part-time, work from home job (or a part-time out of home job) is something we're exploring because my husband is considering a career change and the apprentice program he would go through would result in a HUGE pay cut for the first five years.  

Otherwise, I really do have my hands full with my kidlets, lol.