Menu

I can't stand Singapore CWP!! Help!

Karie

Okay, I'm only in book 3, and I can't figure these out. I'm horrible with word problems and I'm feeling like a total moron with these. Please explain these to me if you can, I'd appreciate it:

1> Laura had 24 clips more than Holly. After she gave 5 clips to Holly, Laura had twice as many clips as Holly. How many clips did Laura have left?

2. Sandy has 41 coins fewer than Wendy. If Sandy now has 13 coins more, she will have half as many coins as Wendy. How many coins does Wendy have?

Okay, I'm only in book 3, and I can't figure these out. I'm horrible with word problems and I'm feeling like a total moron with these. Please explain these to me if you can, I'd appreciate it:

1> Laura had 24 clips more than Holly. After she gave 5 clips to Holly, Laura had twice as many clips as Holly. How many clips did Laura have left?

2. Sandy has 41 coins fewer than Wendy. If Sandy now has 13 coins more, she will have half as many coins as Wendy. How many coins does Wendy have?

:lol:

Please don't feel bad. These are hard. I'm laughing because I have seen this problem come up MANY times on this board ... and I think I posted it once myself!

Now if I can remember how we solved it ... let me think a minute.

First of all, I know how you feel! I couldn't believe that I can't solve a 3rd grade problem. But I was encouraged by another mom who said that the more I practiced, the easier it gets. And she is right. Still can't solve 100% of the problems, but I've been surprising myself lately with CWP 5.

1. Laura had 24 clips more than Holly. After she gave 5 clips to Holly, Laura had twice as many clips as Holly. How many clips did Laura have left?

First draw the bars:

Before: Laura /-----------------/

Singapore maths has a forum for asking questions just like this. Jenny is great at explaining how to do the problems. This comes up a lot here. Most of us weren't taught how to solve math problems the way CWP does them. Is this your first year with CWP? If so, I suggest backing up to 2. That is the level my dd and I are on. We enjoy them, but somedays I still have to look at the answer and backtrack how to solve it. Make sure you work the sample problems at the beginning of the section.

Well, let's go to the second one since you figured out the first one.

Before: Sandy /-----------/

Wendy/-----------/------41------/

After Sandy /----------/-13-/

Wendy/---------------/--------------/

Substitute Sandy's bar into Wendy's bar. Since Sandy's is half of Wendy's, we can say 2 of Sandy's is equal to Wendy.

Sandy /----------/-13/

Wendy/----------/-13/----------/-13/

From the info given, we know that the part of Wendy in red is 41. So 41-(13+13)=15. Each unit is 15.

15+15+13+13 = 56. Wendy has 56 coins.

Hope I explained it clearly. You can also go to the Singapore Math forums and look for the answers there. Jenny is great at explaining things.

:-)Anna

What grade level is this supposed to be? These problems are on the algebraic level!

Wow! So does the level 5 book have calculus in it?

When things are too hard it can turn your child off to math.

If Singapore is gonna put out books to use for homeschoolers to use then they need to have manuals that are very detailed in giving instruction.

I am glad I chose Saxon.

Wow! So does the level 5 book have calculus in it?

When things are too hard it can turn your child off to math.

The problems are solved using bar diagrams, not algebra. I'm very impressed with the method and the wide variety of problem which can be solved with it.

If Singapore is gonna put out books to use for homeschoolers to use then they need to have manuals that are very detailed in giving instruction.
There are worked problems in the CWP books and Jenny Hoerst (sp?), author of the Home Instructor's Guides, is available on the SingporeMath.com boards to give detailed help with any problems.

The problems are solved using bar diagrams, not algebra. I'm very impressed with the method and the wide variety of problem which can be solved with it.

There are worked problems in the CWP books and Jenny Hoerst (sp?), author of the Home Instructor's Guides, is available on the SingporeMath.com boards to give detailed help with any problems.

:iagree:

We love this aspect of Singapore. I think it builds confidence in solving word problems. The CWP has several examples at the beginning of each chapter, then starts w/easy ones, and then follows w/a few pages of 'Challenging' problems. No algebra required.

I think this problem is written in a confusing way. There is before Sandy has this many, and then after Sandy has this many...

Before: Sandy=Wendy-41

After: Sandy+13=Wendy-41+13=Wendy-28

Now we know that After: (Sandy+13)=(Wendy-28)=(1/2)Wendy

So: 2(Wendy-28)=Wendy

Therefore: 2Wendy-56=Wendy

Which implies: Wendy=56 coins

Yes, there are a number of zinger word problems but majority of it can be solved by a student working at that level. As the others said, it's great for stretching your mind .

As for deterring the children's interest in math, it is not so in my case. Not that my dc LOVE math. But now they see every other problem as easier than the "hard" CWP problems. They would rather solve tons of the "easy" ones than the "farmer with the ducks and chickens" problem ("Why can't the farmer just get a calculator and keep better track of his poultry??!!! " says my ds.)

:-)Anna

:-) Can you ladies help me build up my rep points if you think I was of help?

(Is it illegal to beg for rep points?)

Anna

Not sure if it's OK, technically speaking, but we won't tell. Shhhhhh. ;)

Thanks for the explanations, I was really almost getting scared away from Singapore Math.

("Why can't the farmer just get a calculator and keep better track of his poultry??!!! " says my ds.)

I love that!!

And I have to agree -- it's not as bad as it seems. When we were at that level, DS only did about two or three CWP problems a day. And after tackling a particularly difficult problem and emerging victorious, he really got a great little boost of pride. They're certainly meant to be a stretch, and most of the difficulty I've seen is from people who jump into the program halfway in rather than having gone through the whole thing from the beginning. We're in NEM 2 right now and no sign of DS being turned off math!