Menu

Favorite sandbox/sand water table? DD is turning 3

madteaparty

I have (had) a rice box.  I got a large flat storage box (I think it was an 'underbed' storage box) from a big lots, and I filled it with 20lbs of white rice. I could slide the covered box under the couch when we weren't using it. I kept a large oilcloth tablecloth folded with the rice box. When it was wanted I spread the oilcloth on the kitchen floor and then put the ricebox on top of the oil cloth. Any rice that got spilled was collected on the oilcloth.

This was by far their favorite thing to do when they were pre-schoolers. They had their plastic dinosaurs and trucks in it.  I had  couple rules, like no getting inside the box and no 'splashing' the rice, but they were always very good with it. They played with it all year until they were around 6 or 7 years of age. I would change out the rice every summer, but it stayed clean. And they could use it all year long, great for us in the NE.

Oh, a couple times I pulled out some rice and dyed it with food colouring and rubbing alcohol (like you do to dye pasta) and then mixed it all together. That was fun and was a nice change.

I use a bin, too--nothing fancy. If you don't want it flat on the floor, turn two chairs towards each other and place the sensory bin on those. If it's water play, you can hang a towel on the back of one of the chairs (ladder backs or kiddie chairs work well).

Outdoor sandbox is different--I like the Turtle one that you find from Step Two, or something with a cover. You can make your own cover from a plastic sheet and PVC pipe.

We had this table (I don't remember it being that much).  It worked well.  I generally kept sand or water in it, not both at the same time.  The lid fits really well and has elastic straps to keep it in place.  We have VERY strong winds here and never lost the lid.

We don't do sandboxes on the ground here because rattlesnakes like to get in them. :scared:

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Water-Center/dp/B001PGTNK6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400388285&sr=8-2&keywords=sand+table

We had this table (I don't remember it being that much).  It worked well.  I generally kept sand or water in it, not both at the same time.  The lid fits really well and has elastic straps to keep it in place.  We have VERY strong winds here and never lost the lid.

We don't do sandboxes on the ground here because rattlesnakes like to get in them. :scared:

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Water-Center/dp/B001PGTNK6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400388285&sr=8-2&keywords=sand+table

We have that sand and water table, too, but we have tried to keep water and sand in it at the same time and they always get mixed. I am thinking of getting a separate water table this summer.