Menu

Scripps National Spelling Bee

My homeschooled daughter almost made it to the national bee this year. (She won our local homeschool, the district bee, and came in sixth place at the regional.). She plans to win the regional bee next year and make it to the national one. She is already studying.

Our county homeschool bee fed into the district homeschool bee. The winner of that one, then, competed in the regional which was comprised of all the champions of the various counties (public schools). My daughter represented the homeschoolers of our region while another boy represented the private schools.

Who ever runs your local bee should have contact information for your regional coordinator. That coordinator is the one you need to speak with.

Our experience at each level was fantastic. We are already looking forward to next year's competitions!

• 2 weeks later...

Someone from my local homeschooling group made it to the National Spelling Bee, semifinalists will be released soon and there will be the final spelling rounds to watch on ESPN tomorrow!

Update: No national semifinalists list yet but the local paper says that the local homeschooler made it to the semifinals.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread - this is something one of my girls is interested in this year, but I can't figure out from the website how it works for home schoolers. I am willing to coordinate it through our local co-op, but does that mean I actually RUN a local competition? Or can we take our team somewhere?

And do all the participants have to be in the same state? I live in a different state than the majority of the other students. I have directed these questions to the Scripps Bee page, too, but wondering if anyone here had any "live" experience you'd be willing to share?

Argh. Spoke with a Scripps National Spelling Bee representative this morning, and it basically boils down to 2 options. If you have a group *in your county* you can register as a "school" for $130. (This makes sense, but unfortunately, our home school group is not in the same county that we live in.) Or you can enter as an individual family, but that costs $90.

My daughter really wants to be in the spelling bee, but we do not have $90 for that one thing. I am a bit peeved because if I took her down the street and enrolled her in our local public school (that our tax dollars fund), it would be FREE. I don't usually get up in arms about this kind of thing (I don't begrudge the tax funding for the schools), but - this feels a bit unfair. :(

How about creating a group? We run it through our homeschool support group but for a long time another mom also ran one n our county and they weren't any specific group. She just gave it a name and used our area-wide yahoo group for homeschoolers to advertise it and she charged $10 I think per student.

How about creating a group? We run it through our homeschool support group but for a long time another mom also ran one n our county and they weren't any specific group. She just gave it a name and used our area-wide yahoo group for homeschoolers to advertise it and she charged $10 I think per student.

This is my current plan. :D

• 1 month later...