Menu

If you have experience with any of these products, please give me your thoughts.

Jensen's Format Writing

Teaching the Essay from Analytical Grammar

Help for High School (Brave Writer)

IEW SWI-C

Windows to the World (I looked at this at length at the Homeschool Book Fair and was completely confused)

Lively Art of Writing

Hands-on Essays (is this high school level?)

If anyone has a suggestion for something that I don't have listed, please tell me about that too!

I am trying to sort things out for the next two years for ds.  We have decided to continue his homeschooling for an extra year.  We are planning on having him take a couple of CC classes in his "extra" year along with his home studies to ease him into college.  He would graduate at age 17 next year and, after much discussion, we feel he would benefit from waiting until he's 18.  He seems okay with it.

If anyone has suggestions for transcripts for this sort of thing, please chime in on that as well.

Thanks,

Robin

Teaching the Essay from Analytical Grammar - We used this at the beginning of this year and it was very, very basic. The layout is nice and uncluttered, but I don't think it gives nearly enough instruction. I would consider it for a student who is just learning the 5-paragraph essay, but that's about all.

IEW SWI-C - Ds15 is using this this year (9th grade) and it has worked well. I love that there is video instruction, though the sound of the teacher's voice is grating, in my opinion. DS has enjoyed it and I think he has progressed in his writing.

Lively Art of Writing - We haven't used this yet, but I've read through it and DS will use it as part of a class (Write at Home) next year. I think it goes into much better detail than Teaching the Essay and teaches how to flesh out the paragraphs as opposed to simply writing the required number of sentences and having a specified number of quotes.

Help For High School - I haven't used it yet, but I own it and I've picked through all the assignments. It appears very well written and easy to use. Basically it is the teaching and instructions from Bravewriter's 6 week Kidswriter Intermediate class and 6 week Essay class. It is intended to be done over about 12+ weeks and it can be repeated multiple times. It is written to the student with bitesize assignments that build on themselves. I think it is a perfect fit for my reluctant high school writer and I plan on starting it in the fall.

I have used Window to the World with my oldest, and am now using it with my middle daughter.  I think it is one of the best programs out there at teaching an introductory literary analysis course.  I use it with the Jill Pike syllabus, which adds a few more novels and short stories to make it a year long course.  I have found it to be easy to use (I usually read the lesson ahead of time).  If your son is already comfortable with literay analysis, then you might want to choose another program.

Lively Art of Writing

If anyone has suggestions for transcripts for this sort of thing, please chime in on that as well.

My daughter worked through Lucile Vaughan Payne's The Lively Art of Writing before taking an outside the home writing course and some community college composition classes. Though she tired of the drag racing examples, we'd both agree it was a valuable yet surprisingly inexpensive help.

As regards transcripts, are you looking for an example combining at home and out of the home classes?  If so, send me a personal message with your email address and I'll email the transcript I created for my daughter.

Regards,

Kareni

Help for High School - Used this with two children and loved it.

Windows to the World - Used this with one child and plan to use with last dc. I haven't found anything else like it.

The Write Foundation - Very good and not listed.

I used Jensen's Format Writing with sd and it worked beautifully.  Sd needed a set of rules that were easy to follow, she needed structure.  I really liked the fact that they started with working on different styles of paragraphs and then advance to different styles of essays.  It is a great program for someone who is not an instinctive writer.