Menu

Birthday ideas for ds 11 (almost 12)?

He's spending less time with Legos and we'd rather not buy another electronic gadget / video game type gift. Loves audio books, likes to read, musical, not into sports. Already has lots of Nerf guns. One option might be a class or an adventure of some sort, in lieu of a gift. Ideas welcome!

Look at your parks department.  Ours has some really cool classes.  For DD's birthday we're trying to decide between survival hiking, archery, rappelling, and canoeing.  Does he like to camp?  Maybe some camping gear and a trip?

Does he like board games and war? I've been looking at Memoir '44 for ds at some point. There are lots of expansions if he likes it, so that's good gift ideas for some time. We play board games together every week, so that's been good gifts for ds. I gave him Dominion and Castle Panic for Christmas and a Ticket to Ride expansion for his birthday. 

. One option might be a class or an adventure of some sort, in lieu of a gift. Ideas welcome!

I was going to suggest this, actually. Our kids have always gotten "experiences" as birthday gifts, rather than physical items. We started it because our daughter's birthday is just before Christmas, and we wanted to differentiate the two events. But then it became tradition for both kids.

Some of the experiences one or the other of our kids have enjoyed:

- tickets to a touring Broadway musical

- tickets to a local show or event (We live in Orlando, and there are always things happening.)

- indoor skydiving

- renting a convertible and going to dinner at a favorite restaurant and a local theatrical production

- supplied-air snorkeling in the tanks at Walt Disney World's Living Seas pavilion

- backstage tour of a local theme park

- a shopping trip to Ikea for bedroom furniture

Our kids are both performers. So, tickets to something they want to see usually wins out. 

I was going to suggest this, actually. Our kids have always gotten "experiences" as birthday gifts, rather than physical items. We started it because our daughter's birthday is just before Christmas, and we wanted to differentiate the two events. But then it became tradition for both kids.

We've started doing this for my oldest. It's tricky though because he's a winter birthday and we have to travel far for experiences.

He still likes a family get together and a gift or two to open. Lately he's just into books or DVDs, art supplies.

But he really prefers the going somewhere.