Menu

Standardized Testing Scoring - State of Virginia

Reefgazer

My state requires we test annually in LA and math and submit the composite score to them.  We will be doing the IOWA test this year.  Is it possible to get a composite score from the IOWA test people if we do not take the science or social studies test (those aren't required here)?  Or is it only possible to get composite scores if you take all 4 tests?  In reading over the test directions, it seems DD will have to complete all four sections to get a composite score reported.  If that is the case, is there a way for me to calculate composite scores for just LA and math?

You only have to complete the Vocabulary, Reading, Language, and Math sections to get a "Core Score". You have to complete the additional sections to get a "Composite Score". If you complete the entire test then you will have both a "Core Score" and a "Composite Score".

If your state specifies that you test in language arts and math and submit the composite score, then I would guess that the Iowa "Core Score" would be considered a composite score for that purpose. I know Iowa doesn't call it a composite score, but that's what the "Core Score" essentially is. Does your state give any guidelines about this? My state actually has a list of acceptable tests for meeting the state requirement.

You can skip those sections, which I would like to do.  But I wanted to know if doing so would give me a composite score.  It appears not, though.  This is the first year we have homeschooled and tested.

My kids just did the Iowa. Doesn't it say somewhere in the directions that you can skip the Science and Social Studies? I think I recall that it says that.

We're in Virginia; I modified my post to reflect that and maybe someone from Virginia will chime in on this.  I can't find out from our state organization(HEAV)  website what exactly they require, but I think I remember seeing just language arts and math and that they wanted a composite score.  But I can't find the info that I found on that website before.  So it seems that what I will need is the core score.  My state accepts the IOWA, and I don't think it requires science and social studies.

You only have to complete the Vocabulary, Reading, Language, and Math sections to get a "Core Score". You have to complete the additional sections to get a "Composite Score". If you complete the entire test then you will have both a "Core Score" and a "Composite Score".

If your state specifies that you test in language arts and math and submit the composite score, then I would guess that the Iowa "Core Score" would be considered a composite score for that purpose. I know Iowa doesn't call it a composite score, but that's what the "Core Score" essentially is. Does your state give any guidelines about this? My state actually has a list of acceptable tests for meeting the state requirement.

http://vahomeschoolers.org/guide/home-instruction/progress/testing/

When the law changed to define what testing was required, they removed the language that specified English and Math, and changed it to a Composite of any national test.  If the test is all subjects then the composite should reflect all subjects.  But it says you can prefer a national test that only covers math and English.  I don't know which tests those are, but you might get more info in the link.

http://vahomeschoolers.org/guide/home-instruction/progress/testing/

When the law changed to define what testing was required, they removed the language that specified English and Math, and changed it to a Composite of any national test.  If the test is all subjects then the composite should reflect all subjects.  But it says you can choose a national test that only covers math and English.  I don't know which tests those are, but you might get more info in the link.

I am in VA and have been here for 6 years, homeschooling for all of them.  When we did the Iowa we did all sections to make sure it said composite on that results paper, it's a pain but that's the way it works.  I've had a friend get the results rejected because it said Core, not composite for those math/LA sections.  

If you're only testing to satisfy that hurdle I would go with the CAT survey from Seton.  It has 20 questions for each of  3 LA sections and 20 questions for each of 2 math sections and you're done.  I've never had them reject my CAT scores. 

Edited to add, I'm in Chesapeake and the lady that runs our homeschool office here is a bit of a pain about these things too, so you might have someone that's not on the same powertrip as mine and it will be fine to turn in a Core Score. 

Yes, we are.  I'll have to contact them.  I'd use the CAT, but I already ordered the IOWA intending to use that.  Poor planning on my part....

Are you.a member of HSLDA? They would be able to tell you the answer, or it may be on their website. I have read about issues regarding this question which they have gotten settled.

On the other hand, the science/social studies sections are pretty fast sections on the Iowa test, so you could just do it this year and get it over with? As silly as they are in terms of measuring actual knowledge of those areas, you can get them done in a fairly short amount of time. Even though our scope and sequence for history and science doesn't really look like the public school scope and sequence, my DD has scored pretty well on those sections just from general knowledge.

That's exactly what we decided this AM.  I originally didn't want to do that because I didn't teach everything in the science and social studies questions (we kind of march to our own drummer here), but it can't be that difficult and I think she'll be fine doing all 4 sections.

On the other hand, the science/social studies sections are pretty fast sections on the Iowa test, so you could just do it this year and get it over with? As silly as they are in terms of measuring actual knowledge of those areas, you can get them done in a fairly short amount of time. Even though our scope and sequence for history and science doesn't really look like the public school scope and sequence, my DD has scored pretty well on those sections just from general knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...