Menu

Dr. Hive: Quick, do I need stitches?

trulycrabby

I just cut my index finger while doing dishes. It's on the underside of my index finger, and while it's not bleeding much, it's deep and the skin does not meet when I partially straighten the finger. 

Do I need stitches?  If so, can I go to yoga class this morning and then get stitches? 

I had a tetanus shot 10 years ago when I gave birth. 

I prolly need to go, just wanted to hear your advice. 

Thanks, trulycrabby

It is too late, but I am going to vote no.

I am someone who tends to cut their fingers a lot. I mean, slice the pad off of them. I am no longer allowed to use sharp implements of any kind. Having had a finger stitched before, I will tell you that it does little good. Steri strips to pull it closed, then bandaid the heck out of it. No yoga. Possibly for a week if it is a deep cut. Ice, ice, ice. Keep it dry. Basically, if it is truly a bad cut, you will lose the use of that hand for a week or so.

It is too late, but I am going to vote no.

I am someone who tends to cut their fingers a lot. I mean, slice the pad off of them. I am no longer allowed to use sharp implements of any kind. Having had a finger stitched before, I will tell you that it does little good. Steri strips to pull it closed, then bandaid the heck out of it. No yoga. Possibly for a week if it is a deep cut. Ice, ice, ice. Keep it dry. Basically, if it is truly a bad cut, you will lose the use of that hand for a week or so.

I steri stripped it, then pouted because I missed yoga class. Took a nice walk instead. Will ice it in just a moment. Thanks! :)

I would vote no as well unless you can't get it to stop bleeding.  I sliced my index finger open a few weeks ago on a blender blade (yeah, Ninjas are sharp!) It was deep...went from the middle of the pad straight through to the nail (the nail stopped the blade from taking off the end of my finger!) Anyway, it was pouring blood and dh wrapped it up super tight until it slowed down.  After that I just kept it in a bandage for about a week.  It would bleed again when I bumped it, but it finally healed up, with only a little nerve damage..rofl.  But seriously, I don't see how they could have put more than a stitch or two in it...it wasn't long, just deep.