Menu

IEW Questions

DD will be in 10th next year.  I am looking for a writing program, not a full year in itself, but to be part of English along with literature.  I keep hearing about IEW, but I don't think I understand exactly how it works.

When I search the shop for Level C 9-12 grades, all that really comes up is Teaching Writing/Structure and Style.  That can't be all there is for those grades, can it?  I keep seeing other things mentioned here, Elegant Essay, etc., how does that fit in? 

DD is a pretty strong writer, and I want her to continue progressing.  We are considering Laurel Tree Tutorials, but I was thinking more for 11th.  I still need something for 10th. 

Look here: http://iew.com/shop/shopping-resources/pathway

(There's an option on the page to download it as a PDF.)

The graphic on this page shows most of their writing options and their recommendations on when and what order to use them. I have heard that people have used books, like The Elegant Essay, without having gone through the TWSS or a SWI.

I don't have a lot of experience with IEW. I just started using it with my 8th grader in February this year. She and I are very happy with it. She has gone through SWI B in these 3-4 months. I'm planning for her to continue with The Elegant Essay in the Fall for 9th grade. So, I can't share much experience, but I did want to share the the link with the info it seems you were asking about. HTH!

My kids are that old yet, so I don't feel qualified to answer your question.  I would however direct you to the IEW yahoo group.  There are some amazing people on there who can answer your question and you'll want to go through their extensive Files section, there are so many helps and hints in there from other parents that it will make your job easier.

Look here: http://iew.com/shop/shopping-resources/pathway

(There's an option on the page to download it as a PDF.)

The graphic on this page shows most of their writing options and their recommendations on when and what order to use them. I have heard that people have used books, like The Elegant Essay, without having gone through the TWSS or a SWI.

I don't have a lot of experience with IEW. I just started using it with my 8th grader in February this year. She and I are very happy with it. She has gone through SWI B in these 3-4 months. I'm planning for her to continue with The Elegant Essay in the Fall for 9th grade. So, I can't share much experience, but I did want to share the the link with the info it seems you were asking about. HTH!

Thank you, that chart is helpful. 

Can you tell me the time involved?  Is there time for other English as well, or does this take a whole credit hour?

Well, I'm not sure if you're asking how long SWI or the Elegant Essay takes, so I'll take a stab at both :)

My 8th grader has gone through the SWI B this semester working about 30 minutes per day, 4 days per week. She didn't do many of the extra practice assignments in the course, though. I had her do extra practice through history assignments.

She has not started the Elegant Essay, but I have received it and flipped through it. It is only scheduled to be a one semester course. I don't know how long each day of work would be, though, since we haven't actually used it. I am planning literature study and grammar review to go along with it for a full English credit.

You can probably assume 45 minutes to 1 hour per day for Elegant Essay or SWI-C.  We have used EE as well as other high school materials, and it usually takes that at least.  We've always needed to schedule more than one hour for high school composition and literature if we are doing both.  Grammar usually adds another 30 minutes.