Menu

Kids signing own passports???

mlktwins

When we went to Ireland last year, they wanted the older two (11 and 13) to have signed, but not necessarily the little two (4 and 6), though it would have been fine if they did.  My husband has a passport, long expired, from when he was 3 and his parents had him write his own name in it.  For little kids (under 10ish), they just aren't really strict about who signs their passport.

Technically, if the child is able to sign his or her own name in the space provided, the child should do it. But if your child is young enough that it's questionable whether or not he or she can sign it, the parents can do it by printing the child's name, then signing the parent's name and writing (mother) or (father) after.

If your children are almost 9, I'd say they're old enough to do it themselves unless there are extenuating circumstances, and some overzealous immigrations officers may have a problem if you do it. I suggest having them practice until you're confident they can do it (mostly) legibly in the space provided--in ink--then have them do it.