Menu

Phonics...

Silverwood

I have a couple of questions...

1. My DD is in first grade this year and is having trouble with silent -e words. She attended a private school last year that used A-Beka for Phonics, but still is having trouble in certain areas. She is very good at blending, and sounding out longer words. For some reason, she has a hard time with remembering that the first vowel in silent -e words should be long. Should I do a remedial type phonics program? Or should I start all over at the beginning? We practice reading daily, and she does enjoy reading. Any recommendations on what I should use to help her? We have tried Explode the Code, and she loves it but I haven't really noticed it helping.

2. Next is about my DS. He will be in Kindergarten this coming school year. He is 5, and very active. He has a short attention span. Although he has been attending a private preschool program, he still does not recognize certain letters or numbers. Most children in his class are reading, but he isn't too interested yet, that being said, I need a program for him that starts at the beginning with letters and sounds. I really think LoE would be a good fit. The only issue I have is that my older DD is using AAS this year (and doing well with it) and I was looking forward to reusing it with my DS. So should I go with AAR for him so I can use AAS? Does anyone have children using two different programs like this? Should my DD try AAR for remedial reading help?

TIA!

You could use PAL Reading for both of them (and the writing program too, if you want). It's one purchase and, imo, a GREAT option for an active boy, as it's largely game based.

I would also buy Leapfrog Letter Factory (DVD) for your younger child. He'll have his letters and sounds down in NO time. It's fantastic.

1: I used this game with my son and he loved it and it helped. It's free! http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Jake-the-Snake-Silent-E-Board-Game-209295 

There are a lot of free\cheap games on that website that can help a lot!

2. We used My Father's World for K. We started 2 months before my son's 5th birthday and by Christmas he could read CVC words with ease. Before we started the program, he could say his ABCs but didn't recognize most of the letters and didn't know any of the sounds. He actually picked it up so well that we didn't finish the last 6 weeks of the program because he was ready to learn something harder...we moved on to the first grade program and now he can read almost any children's book. 

I hope these help! 

I have a couple of questions...

1. My DD is in first grade this year and is having trouble with silent -e words. She attended a private school last year that used A-Beka for Phonics, but still is having trouble in certain areas. She is very good at blending, and sounding out longer words. For some reason, she has a hard time with remembering that the first vowel in silent -e words should be long. Should I do a remedial type phonics program? Or should I start all over at the beginning? We practice reading daily, and she does enjoy reading. Any recommendations on what I should use to help her? We have tried Explode the Code, and she loves it but I haven't really noticed it helping.

2. Next is about my DS. He will be in Kindergarten this coming school year. He is 5, and very active. He has a short attention span. Although he has been attending a private preschool program, he still does not recognize certain letters or numbers. Most children in his class are reading, but he isn't too interested yet, that being said, I need a program for him that starts at the beginning with letters and sounds. I really think LoE would be a good fit. The only issue I have is that my older DD is using AAS this year (and doing well with it) and I was looking forward to reusing it with my DS. So should I go with AAR for him so I can use AAS? Does anyone have children using two different programs like this? Should my DD try AAR for remedial reading help?

TIA!

There are many times when a silent e does not cause the first vowel to say its name. "Head," for example, does not follow that rule. Usually, it's the single-vowel, single-consonant, final-silent-e words where that is true. Perhaps that's why she has trouble.

This is as much a spelling issue as a reading issue, and not necessarily a *phonics* issue at all. :-)

You could do Spalding with both of your children. ABeka does a very good job of teaching children to read, but Spalding teaches children to read by teaching them to spell. Your dd would not learn that the first vowel in silent-e words is long. She will learn all the sounds that each vowel makes,  she'll learn the five reasons for final silent e (only one of which is to make a single vowel say its second--or long--sound), and she'll learn the other ways that single vowels might say their second sounds (rule 4: a, e, o, and u usually say their second sounds at the end of a short word or syllable). She will rarely forget which sound a vowel makes when she reads and spells.

So you would be using *one* method for both children. You'll need the manual (Writing Road to Reading) and a set of phonogram cards, and you'll have a complete English course for both dc for less than $40.

On a white board, go back and forth between both real and nonsense words with and without a silent e. At first, write the vowels and e in one color and consonants in another, then switch to a single color. Include nonsense words, too. Write them one at a time changing back and forth by erasing and adding and also next to one another to compare and contrast.

Rat rate mat mate vat vate; sit site din dine; hop hope, etc.

Also, you can play my phonics concentration game with just silent e words for a bit, then a mix of short vowels and silent e words.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Talking frog for the younger!