Menu

Washington DC

mom31257

We would like to go to DC this summer (late May/early June). I wondered if any of you knew a great place to stay. We want to use the Metro as much as possible, so being close to a station or a place having free shuttle to the airport would work. Any good priced suggestions? We will drive there. 

Your price will totally depend on whether you will be there during the week ($$$) or the weekend. Hotel prices are much higher during the week, and Metro prices are higher too.

We had a screaming deal several years ago at the Crystal City Marriott, ~$100 and they put us in a suite; my kids slept in the fold out couch.  There was a Metro station beneath the hotel. It happened to be 4th of July weekend, and we had a room with a view of the fireworks over the National Mall (which is across the river).  That was fantastic, because it rained, and we didn't venture into the city that night.

Looks like they still have the same deal, $109 per weekend night, and it cost us $25 a day to park our car at the hotel, which was well worth it.  It was a gorgeous hotel, definitely the nicest we've ever stayed in.

Crystal City was a blast, a series of underground tunnels with stores--a mini underground shopping mall, and the hotel sits on top of a portion of it. We were only there for one night, but the entire trip was unforgettable.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites in Alexandria, VA in September/October.   It was very nice, and they provided free breakfast every day, plus a hot dinner on weeknights.   We stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which was great for our family.    The hotel had a shuttle to the King Street Metro station, which was about 10-15 minutes away and left every half hour.

Amy, I wanted to add:  This was the first time we went to DC.  I get very stressed planning trips, because I think that *I* must make everything absolutely perfect. Because we were meeting friends from overseas, we didn't have a choice to not go on a national holiday, and that only added to my anxiety.  For me, driving only to the edge of the City, having the Metro downstairs, having my kids so enamored of the hotel--all of those things worked together to make our trip work out as perfectly as I'd hoped.  I was still a bit stressed, but it was all internal.  ;)

We've gone in for the day/half day several times since, and it's been much easier for me now than I have a basic familiarity of how things work.