Menu

Favorite US history texts / supplements

I've chosen my dd's main history spine for next year, but I think it's nice to have a few supplementary books around. Plus, my dd loves history and I know she would enjoy having plenty of sources around.

So, can you recommend any good US history texts or supplements? Thanks!

A few that might be helpful for American history before World War I:

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin is a nice slice of life, and helps add context to the face on the hundred dollar bills. :)

The Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers are good for understanding what sort of concerns surrounded the Constitution.

Letters from an American Farmer by J. Hector St. John de CrèvecÅ“ur captures the early enthusiasm quite well, and also points out the important distinction between those who wanted the U.S. to be a new experiment, and those who merely wanted it to be a New England, a philosophical divide still found today. Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville is another good one.

The Life and Times of Frederick Douglass and Booker T. Washington's Up From Slavery provide some helpful insights into the post Civil War period.

Frederick Jackson Turner's The Frontier In American History was pretty influential in its day, although his version of history has been criticized by the historians that came after him. Read as part of a larger narrative it might help to show how the West was viewed then compared to how it is viewed now.

How the Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis is nice for giving some visual context to the Gilded Age, maybe supplemented by Ida Tabell's History of the Standard Oil Company or Lincoln Steffens' Shame of the Cities. Also something like The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie and his Gospel of Wealth for the perspective from the other end.