Menu

I'm a box checker

Here's my problem.  I'm a box checker.  I don't mind it, but I am wondering if I can keep up with a program I own because I want more out of it, but it's not scheduled.  Somehow, having to pay for a curriculum that lays it out for me gives me accountability.  I own all four years of Tapestry and don't go to the buffet it is.  I use it as a book list.  Sad, but true.  I know I could really beef it up and make it more of what I want out of it, but I have this feeling that I will give up sooner than later.  I need comprehension questions written out for me and scheduled.  I even failed with Story of the World!  I had the activity book with the questions all set for me to do each time I read the book.  I lasted about 10 weeks.  Narrations went out the window at that time also.  I am wanting a little more accountability for my children (after realizing my 9 year old ds really wasn't understanding what he was reading at all for history) and more accountability for me.  I've been doing this 9 years and have always reverted to the path of least resistance by November or so

So, is there reform for me or do I just admit my weaknesses and just buy an all in one?  I have done really well sticking to a laid out schedule - I'm just not good at making up my own pulling from fabulous resources.

Beth

I would say go with what you feel comfortable with, especially if it seems to be working for your kids. There is nothing wrong with a boxed curriculum and if it gives you the consistency you need, by all means, go for it. I get to the point at times where I see the ideal that I want.... and then there's the reality. It's all well and good to be an ideologue, but you also have to know what works for you (and what is possible for your children's abilities and maturity and how many of them there are) and how to balance that. If I were you, I'd do a boxed curriculum and then add living books and activities here and there as you feel comfortable and as are appropriate and don't look back!

I am very prone to sloth and to laziness so I make my own boxes to check.  Every week, I give a schedule for each child and they check each box when they are done.  We also have a family checklist and a Morning Basket (circle time) list.  I think the key for me is to be reasonable with my list and then to stick with it.  Of course, you need some flexibility because life happens, but we tend to finish our lists every week.  It gives me the accountability I need and the kids know what to expect so they are easier to deal with as well.  It takes me about 30-45 minutes to plan each week, but it is worth it to me. Best of luck!

I am a box checker and NONE of our curriculum comes laid out for me.  I have to resort to creating my own boxes to check! 

Each Sunday, I write all of DD12's assignments into her planner for the following week.  DD checks off each assignment as she finishes it which lets me sooth my box-checking soul.  I have used a planner like this for DD since she was in second grade - it keeps both of us accountable to get the work done for the week.

Yes, I have done that for years.  I have noticed that when I tend to add my own extras to enhance the curriculum (such as memory work lately), I fizzle out around November/December.  I'm flighty like that.  I think I am going to try a curriculum that schedules everything (narration, Bible memory, notebooking) for a year and see how that goes.  Having a guide might give me a weird outside accountability that I seem to lack right now.

Beth

I am a box checker, too, and while I love the idea of curriculum such as TOG, it's just overwhelming to me. I want school to be good, but to flow easily. I am going to be using BJU history and science for middle school. I am going to be adding in a few historical books for a mixed style feel. If I were going to use all my subjects boxed, it would be BJU. 

The reason I am choosing BJU for those subjects is because they are thorough, include so many great activities to make sure the student is comprehending and retaining the information, and are challenging. I will be using the online/dvd option for science because all three years are taught by Mrs. Vick, and she is phenomenal. Ds will most likely end up in a science field, so I will more than likely use it through high school, too. 

I looked through some of the student activities manuals while I was at the convention, and I was extremely impressed with what I saw: outlining, summarizing, essays, graphic organizers, mapping, analysis of source documents, etc. There are samples of these at Christian Book but not on BJU's site. The samples don't really even do them justice, though.

I'm putting together my own language arts plan using Figuratively Speaking, some books from MP, CLE, IEW writing, and novels. I'm putting together my own math plan as well. I've been using BJU and love it, but ds is really good in math and just needs to cement his skills before moving into Algebra. BJU is expensive if you can't find it used, so I want to put my money into the history and science. 

I hope you can find what works for you.