Menu

Help me track down this book from my childhood!

Xuzi

I want to find a picture book that I *loved* as a kid, but I can't remember the name of it!

It was a sort-of little mermaid-type story. A mermaid fell in love with a human, and by some magic was able to become human. On the night of a full moon she could become a mermaid again when she swam in the water, but if her husband (who didn't know she was a mermaid) ever saw her in her mermaid form the magic would end and she would be a mermaid again. Of course her husband wanted to know where she went every moon-lit night, and followed her, and she became a mermaid again, leaving behind a human son. 

This book had *gorgeous* illustrations, and I would love to have it again.

ETA: The book I'm looking for is a children's picture book.

I was going through my kids books this morning, and the book Rapunzel illustrated by Paul Zelinski had a very similar art style to what I remember the pictures in the mermaid book being, if that jogs anyone's memory.

The Prince and The Mermaid, Ian Deuchar? 

Hmm, that may be it! Although the art (google only has a picture of the cover art) doesn't look quite as nice as I remember. I found a copy through inter-library loan, so I put it on hold. I'll report back if it's the one! :)

Hmm...seems like that might be the book.  It's been so long since I read it though. This is from the Amazon page:

From School Library Journal
Grade 1-4-- When winter drives a group of mermaids from the sea into a sheltered forest stream, one mermaid is so taken by the beauty of the river and its creatures that she stays on into the spring. There she falls hopelessly in love with a handsome prince. She speaks the words of an ancient spell and is transformed into a beautiful young woman (complete with gown and jewelry). The prince marries her, and they have a son. However, the prince ignores his promise not to interfere with his princess' mysterious full-moon excursions, following and watching her as she slips back into mermaid form for the evening. Now she must leave forever, returning to human form only for a few moments with each full moon. A foreword traces this story to an old French folktale, but readers are more likely to think of Andersen's The Little Mermaid or the earthier variants of the seal mother or selkie tales. The story moves swiftly from beginning to end, with an equitable balance of action and description. Rather than the glamorous, pearl-adorned mermaids of the Andersen variations, Deuchar's deep-hued, full-page paintings depict a much more naturalistic group, with sleek piscine tails and streaming hair covering bare breasts, shivering through an icy winter with no undersea palace for protection. The prince is a shaggy-haired, dark, brooding figure in medieval dress who inhabits a stone palace adorned with stained glass windows but little else to soften it. Older fairy-tale fans will love this romantic and tragic tale, which is suitable for reading aloud or for individual use. --Susan L. Rogers, Chestnut Hill Academy, PA

Got it! The Prince and the Mermaid was the book. :) The illustrations aren't what I thought I remembered, but I recognized them once I saw them. I guess I can't trust all my childhood memories. lol.

Thanks for the help! Can't wait to read this to my daughter tonight. :)