Menu

Elliptical Machines

Scrub Jay

Guest submarines

I forget which one we have(we got it on sale at Sears), but one important point is that all of them feel differently and you really need to test them out yourself. Some are smoother, some are choppier, length of stride matters. Good luck! I love mine! We tried many very expensive ones in specialized stores, but then ended up loving the somewhat cheaper one, even if it wasn't too cheap. ;-)

I thought I was going to love an elliptical... but I didn't. I found it tedious, boring, and tiring, and because many ellipticals keep your feet at a somewhat unnatural distance apart, I had a hard time finding one that didn't hurt my knees or hips.

As 67_others already mentioned, in order to choose an elliptical, you need to get on several of them and test them out --preferably for more than just a few minutes each, because most of them will feel pretty comfortable for a few minutes at a time.

I'm sure you'll immediately find that some are smoother than others, and you'll prefer one stride length over another, but pay close attention to whether or not your stance on the machine is unnatural and if your knees are too far apart. I know it sounds stupid, but it's something that's so easy to overlook, yet it can make all the difference in the world in terms of whether or not you will be able to use it safely and comfortably.

I will second (or third?) the advice to try different brands out before you buy. The gym I go to has two types of ellipticals. One of them I could use for an hour and feel great. The other one made me feel totally wonky and I hated it. I didn't even last 5 minutes on the thing and I think it would have really messed up my hips and knees if I had continued to use it.