Menu

Rosetta Stone--homeschool or regular edition?

Aiden

My family will be making an international move next year, and we'd like to use this time in between to prepare. One of the things we're considering is learning the language, using Rosetta Stone. What we aren't sure about is which edition would be better for our purposes--the homeschool one or the regular/personal one. I would appreciate insights from anyone who's used either version and particularly from anyone who's used or seriously looked into both.

We are a family of 3. I definitely would use the software, and my husband probably would. We also would try our soon-to-be-4yo daughter on it to see if she seems to learn from it, with no pressure at this point for her to learn if she isn't ready for it. We would like to be able to set up different "accounts" for the three of us, so we don't have to remember where each of us is in the lesson plans. I also do better with a written list of words to memorize, rather than trying to "absorb" it all naturally--if we buy a version that does not include such a vocabulary list, I'll end up making one, using the lessons and a dictionary. (I pick up pronunciation pretty well, and I love the idea of first exposure and some practice using a natural method, but if I don't have a list and make my flash cards and study, I won't remember any of the words! I've learned this from experience ...) At this point we are not concerned with tests or grades or academic credit, though if we buy a version with tests, I'll take them to assess my own learning.

Now I'm off to scour the internet for information about the different editions, but please--if you have done this work already or if you've used the program, please let me know what you would recommend! Thank you for any advice or information you can offer.

For those purposes, there would be no reason to have the homeschool edition. Also, I doubt your dd would get much out of it. She will learn more just by being there, or having you use your new words/phrases with her. There are no vocabulary lists with RS. Also, you might want to check the language you are wanting to learn with reviews for RS. It is good for some (Spanish, French), but horrid for others (Japanese, Chinese, Korean...).

I agree that RS might not be your best choice, and that the homeschool version probably wouldn't help much. I think there are better programs for many languages that are more affordable. But RS does have languages that no one else has, and that can make all the difference.

If you do go with RS, I'd recommend using other resources too if at all possible. I found that RS's method was helpful for learning vocab and some practice, but it couldn't prepare me to live in another country and we haven't used it since we tried it about 7 or 8 years ago.

Hmm ... ok. Some things to think through. I'd planned on saving money by buying a complete set--all available levels, rather than individually as I go--but now I'm thinking I may be better off to get just level 1 at the discount to try it out. Amazon also seems to be offering the discount, and I think it's on both the homeschool and the regular vesions.

I also discovered that there are free resources available online, including the courses that are offered by FSI (Foreign Service Institute; where my husband's coworkers who get language training get it from--he does not receive the training in his position). I may need to try a couple of those and see if they will suffice for what I want. I also should be able to get free language classes once I get there, employer budget permitting, but it's difficult to take classes outside of my home because of needing to make arrangements for my daughter. It would be better for me to start now and be able to do it slowly, in accordance with my schedule, and from my home.

I'm assuming that whatever I do, I also will buy a dictionary, make some flash cards, and use drill for vocab memorization. I have a good ear for languages, so if I can hear it, I usually can repeat it with a good accent, but I also have a horrible memory, which means I have to work at remembering both the meaning and that correct pronunciation.

After Saturday, I can come back and ask for recommendations for the specific language. I'm running a trivia contest on my blog right now to announce where we're moving next, so I don't want to give away the answer before the game is over.

I researched it before and ended up not buying anything but some Amazon reviews left me feeling like the homeschool one was a bad idea. At least, for me. I don't remember which review I read back then but here is one that compares 2 RS products:

http://www.amazon.com/Rosetta-Stone-Homeschool-including-Companion/product-reviews/1608293017/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_2?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addTwoStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Not sure if their case was unique.

ETA: I don't know which language you are looking for but this person complained that in their orders they got one more updated version (regular) and one outdated version (homeschool). Again, I don't know if this will apply to all languages/customers.

I have the homeschool version of one language and the regular version of another. They are basically the same, but the homeschool one has a CD you can make worksheets from (haven't used) and record keeping which is extremely useful when it is for school. It IS difficult to install when you haven't done it before. After installing my first, I haven't found it to be hard at all. I have a Mac and the microphone works just fine. They did update right after I purchased one of mine, and I was offered (many times) an upgrade (which would cost extra). I am wondering if the people just bought an outdated version. 

We have the RS regular vision, and have really liked it for our purposes.  We do not use it as a heavy school subject with worksheets, etc., but spend about 20 minutes on it every day, just on the computer.  It's very easy to use.  On my Mac, I don't need anything else.  The mic and speaker on the Mac work well with it.  It covers different types of learning, such as vocabulary, sound, grammar (oral and written), and syntax.  I think it's kind of fun.  A unique thing about it as that you don't have to know any language at all to use it.  That is, it's not showing you a word in English and then showing you the translation in Spanish.  It just shows you the word in Spanish (and you hear it, too), and a picture of the word.  I would think that even your 4-year old would get something out of it.

I would only use it as a supplement, which is what we use it for, but I would think that it could work to reinforce the language as you're learning it in different ways.

Don't waste your money! Most expensive mistake we made in homeschooling was to purchase Rosetta Stone. You're better off just getting those travel tapes from the bookstore, and using youtube videos.

(the travel tapes were recommended by a Foreign born friend, who also taught his native language in the local high school for years before moving to a local College to teach)