Menu

What are you using for 5th?

lovinmomma

I'm hoping to bring my oldest daughter back home for 5th grade. I could tell you all about homeschooling and every single curric out there 2 years ago. Today, not so much. I've been out of the loop, and I've never taught a child at home in later elementary grades. I would love to know what everyone is doing for 5th so that I can start researching now (she's at the end of her 3rd grade year).

Well, DS10 is in 5th grade right now and here is what we're using:

Math Mammoth 5A (he completed 4B recently)

Serl's Intermediate Language Lessons (ILL)

Wordsmith Apprentice

Story of the World 4: Modern Times and AG plus coloring pages

BFSU 2: Elementary Science Education

Evan-Moor 7 Continents: Asia

Natural Speller and Spelling City

Vocabulary Cartoons

Duolingo, Rosetta Stone, So You Really Want to Learn Spanish Book 1

Poetry for Young People Series: Carl Sandburg and Maya Angelou

The Story of the Orchestra

Art curriculum by Daddy: Monet, Van Gogh, Picasso

GD Italic Handwriting Book D (cursive)

Living books, discussions

Well, DS10 is in 5th grade right now and here is what we're using:

Math Mammoth 5A (he completed 4B recently)

Serl's Intermediate Language Lessons (ILL)

Wordsmith Apprentice

Story of the World 4: Modern Times and AG plus coloring pages

BFSU 2: Elementary Science Education

Evan-Moor 7 Continents: Asia

Natural Speller and Spelling City

Vocabulary Cartoons

Duolingo, Rosetta Stone, So You Really Want to Learn Spanish Book 1

Poetry for Young People Series: Carl Sandburg and Maya Angelou

The Story of the Orchestra

Art curriculum by Daddy: Monet, Van Gogh, Picasso

GD Italic Handwriting Book D (cursive)

Living books, discussions

Thank you! Does Math Mammoth still just go through elementary grades?

It goes all through 6th. In 7th it has worksheets but no instructions. I'm planning on using the worksheets for extra practice in conjunction with Dolciani's Pre-Algebra.

Ok, that's what I was wondering. I didn't know if it was best to use a something that would take us through highschool since we will be starting it in 5th. MM is what we used to use.

This year my oldest has used Saxon math. It's either loved or hated, but I really like it. I've recently added Math In Focus for a change. I'm not sure if I'll continue with Saxon (what I want to do) or continue with MIF.

We use Bravewriter and WWE for writing. I also really like Easy Grammar for grammar concepts. We've recently added Killgallon and he took to it immediately. I think I'll stay with those books from now on. Sequential Spelling and Vocab From Classical Roots round out the lang arts. 

We're studying US History this year. We've been using Joy Hakim's series with the Oxford University Press guides.

We've been slowly working our way through Real Science Odyssey Biology.

And lots of other random resources and rabbit trails. 

Here's what we're currently using for 5th:

Math - Singapore

Logic - materials from Prufrock Press

Writing - for a reluctant writer - CAP's Writing and Rhetoric along with a few BraveWriter twists and an occasional foray into WWE

Spelling - We were using AAS, but have temporarily strayed into spelling worksheets from EdHelper

Grammar - Finishing FLL and occasionally using Editor-in-Chief

Latin - The Big Book of Lively Latin

Spanish - Elementary Spanish via Discovery Education Streaming Plus

History - SOTW 3 along with Hakim's History of US

Science - Pandia Press, Real Science Odyssey, Life 2

Geography - games mostly

Handwriting - still doing copywork to improve handwriting

Lial's Basic College Math (just switched from CLE)

Key to Fractions, Decimals & Percents

Phonetic Zoo

Classical Academic Press Writing & Rhetoric

First Language Lessons 4

Further Up and Further In (lit study)

Story of the World vol 4

Winter Promise Equine Science

Getting Started with Latin

My daughter will be in 5th next year.  This *was* my plan:

Teaching Textbooks 5 & Mathmania
Easy Grammar
Writing Tales
Spelling Wisdom & Sequential Spelling
Beautiful Feet Early American History Intermediate
Beautiful Feet History of the Horse 
Which Way USA
Noeo Science Chemistry 2

Buuut...my plan got totally changed last week.  We'll be using BookShark (the new secular Sonlight).  I'll still be using TT5 & Sequential Spelling (since they come with BkSk), Mathmania, WWUSA, Spelling Wisdom, and History of the Horse.  I'm  very excited about next year!  :001_smile:

My dd will be using

Horizons Math 5

CAP Latin for Children

Shurley English 5

Probably Writing and Rhetoric Book 2&3 (unless I decide to use the writing in Shurley) I'll decide this week

ACE Word Building 5

In just recently discovered what a I think is a bit of a learning issue in my dd and so I am carefully choosing repetitive programs and focusing on the basics.

She will be doing a low key History of the horse thing from BF as a co-op with her best friend. And for Science she will do Apologia Swimming Creatures.

But the bulk of our time will be on strengthening grammar and starting Latin, and staying strong in math. :)

We will be using Book Shark 3 next year for 5th.  I is the equivalent to Sonlight Core D only secular for History, LA and Science, Math in Focus 5, song school latin 2, All About Spelling 4 &5, the first half of Beautiful Feet Geography, Artisitic Pursuits 4 (finishing), Classic Kids Collection 2 Music, Nature Study with/Outdoor Challenge, The Way things Work (yesterday's Classic) and I am not sure Shakespeare Play yet.   

I'm all over the place so this is galway tentative. 

Grammar: Analytical Grammar Jr.
Writing: WWS 1 at half pace / Killgallon
Spelling: Apples and Pears
Literature: Read, Read, Read
French: Rosetta Stone, So You Really Want to Learn French, maybe K12
Math: Jump Math, LOF Fractions, Decimals and Percents
Science: Elemental Life Science for Logic Stage, Hakim's Story of Science and lots of Documentaries  
History: Human Odyssey, Timeline Book, Map

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from Classical Roots

​Geography: McHenry's Drawing the World by Art

Logic: Mindbenders and or Logic Liftoff 
Extra: Ancient Egypt from the Great Courses (her passion)

If I used AAS would I start at the beginning and go all the way back through? One of my issues right now is that dd doesn't understand the "why" behind her spelling. She's just memorizing lists every week. I used to be very minimalist in my homeschooling, but I guess I'm going to have to kick it up a few notches for 5th grade.

I currently have a 5th grader.  Here's what he's doing:

Language Arts: The Language Mechanic, copy work, dictation

Geometry: Doodle Yourself Smart Geometry, Blueprint for Geometry, Drawing Geometry, Designing Playgrounds, Zometool Geometry, daily arithmetic review sheet

History: Story of the World 4

Science: Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry, The Elements (book), reading Herpetology books on his own (like Venomous Snakes of the World)

Harry Potter Unit Study - reading through the HP books, spent a month on Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet, Midsummer Night's Dream, The Bard of Avon), unit on plant identification, mythical creatures/monsters/cryptozoology, The Great and Terrible Quest, study of medieval times, Cathedral and Castle (Macaulay books), fiction like Tale of Desperaux - Redwall - Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Bridge to Terabithia - Holes - Gentle Ben...

He also did an Asian-themed literature study over the fall/winter.  I can't remember all the books he read, but some of them were...The Cat Who Went to Heaven, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Call It Courage, The Kite Fighters...  

Good luck!  If you decide to use AAS...my younger two kids use that for spelling and we really like it.  It's a very good program.  The first book starts at the very beginning with phonics.  

I currently have a 5th grader. Here's what he's doing:

Language Arts: The Language Mechanic, copy work, dictation

Geometry: Doodle Yourself Smart Geometry, Blueprint for Geometry, Drawing Geometry, Designing Playgrounds, Zometool Geometry, daily arithmetic review sheet

History: Story of the World 4

Science: Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry, The Elements (book), reading Herpetology books on his own (like Venomous Snakes of the World)

Harry Potter Unit Study - reading through the HP books, spent a month on Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet, Midsummer Night's Dream, The Bard of Avon), unit on plant identification, mythical creatures/monsters/cryptozoology, The Great and Terrible Quest, study of medieval times, Cathedral and Castle (Macaulay books), fiction like Tale of Desperaux - Redwall - Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Bridge to Terabithia - Holes - Gentle Ben...

He also did an Asian-themed literature study over the fall/winter. I can't remember all the books he read, but some of them were...The Cat Who Went to Heaven, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Call It Courage, The Kite Fighters...

Good luck! If you decide to use AAS...my younger two kids use that for spelling and we really like it. It's a very good program. The first book starts at the very beginning with phonics.

We used to really enjoy AAS. Just unsure how we would start up again with a 5th grader.