Menu

Help with math review ideas/MM/SM Practice

LAmom

Using MM for my kids.  There is not enough drill and I have not offered enough drill.  My 5th grader has not done multiplication in awhile and is slacking--slow, unsure, etc.  I realized the other day she has trouble with even telling time.  Math has been a failure for us.  She HATES math and only has started to show a little interested by reading some Life of Fred (Fractions?).  Also, my ds is slooooowly learning his multiplication facts.  I hesitate to continue with Math Mammoth, not because it is not a great program, I just need more hand holding and drill included and part of Grade 3 has been so confusing to me (why certain things were done in the order they were presented).  Otherwise, I slack off.  What would hold my hand more?  I thought there was more drill in Singapore?  Maybe not?  Plus, they would have to backtrack and start at lower levels because of different concepts being taught.  

I don't want apps or online games for review.  I prefer worksheets or something else that guides me through daily review.

How are the Singapore Math Practice Books?  I could have them review that?  I know Math Mammoth offers reviews that I could print out but I kind of want something different than MM know.

CLE for multiplication?  I don't know what light units I'd need though...  Maybe my dd just needed Saxon afterall.   :huh:

My goal is for them to master math facts!  That is not happening.

I adore MM, but like every other math program I've used (many), additional drill is required to cement multiplication facts for most kids. I would recommend that you stop what you're doing and ensure your kids have fact mastery. It can take some time, but trudging forward without fact fluency is a bad idea, IMHO. You said you don't want online drill but there are tons of places online to find or create fact practice sheets that you can print. Another resource with ready-made sheets are the Calculadder books.

Without automatic recall of multiplication facts everything else will be like slogging uphill through three feet of snow...division, long division, factoring, fractions, etc. I wouldn't switch curriculum in this situation, but rather buckle down to ensure they are getting the most out of the one you're using. Best of luck; it is hard work but will be worth it.

I KNOW you said you didn't want an online program, but I'm going to try to sell one anyway.  :-D  I'm sorry, just ignore me if you want!!!

I am very careful with the kids' screen time.  They don't play any video games, etc. 

I started my son off with flashcards for addition facts in SM1.  It worked, but boy was it a pain in the rear to do!!! 

I finally broke down and decided to try Xtramath.org.  This is truly a computer based flash card program (no flashy graphics, cartoons, etc.), but it is "smart" and remembers what needs extra work from one session to another.  The parent page gives very clear diagnostics of where your child is at, progress, what is left to learn, etc.  It will do +, -, x, and /, but only does one at a time until mastery.  You can choose which you want in the settings, or just let it run through them all. 

My son started in October and mastered addition (and I mean SOLID) in Feb.  Now he's in subtraction.

For multiplication, I broke down and decided to try TimezAttack.  He mastered the multiplication table (SOLID) using it from Dec-March.  In SM, he was only supposed to learn the 2,3, 5, and 10s this year.  Now he's using it for division. 

Spurred by the success, I got a free app called Clock Master which is working great as a compliment to our SM. 

I don't regret the screen time.  He does XtraMath for approx 7 minutes (it's auto-timed), follwed by 15 minutes of Timez Attack.  He is under the impression that these are privileges, not math work!!!  It's a battle I don't have to fight, and it's crazy effective and time-efficient in a way that worksheets would not be, because the computer remembers where the weaknesses are and concentrates on them. 

---------------------------------------

SM talls you in the TM to review facts, but it is not "programmed" into the schedule, there are no worksheets for it, you just have to remember to do it.  I have chosen the computer programs above to take that task off my hands.  For calculation review, I do the following:

- Each math session, I start by writing 10 problems on the whiteboard, which I pull from the Mental Math worksheets at the back of the SM HIG, as well as from my imagination- I saw he was starting to forget the borrow/carry algorithm, so now he does one of each of those each day.  We just finished money, so I do one money addition and one money subtraction each day.  He does those 10 problems while I flip through and prepare to teach the actual day's lesson. 

It is part of the routine, and therefore relatively painless.  Because I can tailor the whiteboard problems (unlike a worksheet), I am able to review all areas as we need them.

-------------------------------------

Conclusion is that my son neither loves nor hates math, but he is a SOLID calculator now.   

Practical application math, like maybe the Charlotte Mason business math books, or games based on reinforcement of math facts might bring more joy back into math.  And when my kids find something useful or fun they are certainly a lot more engaged and willing to work through the difficulties than just additional drill and kill of something they have come to hate.  DD hated math.  And has always struggled with math facts.  They just are so difficult for her.  But when we went way back to basic subitization skills, incorporated lots of math games, and practical application math (consistently) things started to turn around.  She actually likes math now, although it isn't her favorite subject.  And math facts are starting to truly gel.  Look at Soror's "relaxed math" thread.  Lots of great out of the box resources there that are usually not hard to implement.  

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/page-2?do=findComment&comment=5588815

Beast Academy is another resource that might help.  It can be challenging but it can also be a lot of fun and encourage better understanding of math (just do it as a family until they get more used to the material).  Same with Zacarro's Primary Grade Challenge Math.

But the business math is really cool.  Practice in math facts but tied to practical application so they see the need for math.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/your-business-math/

And I agree that Monica in Switzerland has some great suggestions if you are interested in maybe re-looking at some computer based material.

Another thing you might do is have the kids create their own problems on dry erase boards, then double check each other's answers through use of a calculator or you provide the answers.  Or the kids create math problems for you to solve, then they have to figure out the best way to double check your answer.  My kids really enjoy creating problems for me, and it amps up their enthusiasm for practicing their facts more.  I am doing the Key to...series of math workbooks for myself and the kids love trying to get better at their own math now so they can help me.  I love those books, by the way.  No multiplication but great review of fractions, decimals, percents, algebra, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Key-Fractions-Steven-Rassmussen/dp/1559531002

Best wishes.

I want to thank you all for your help.  I printed up the MM reviews...oops, and some more w/s from online.  I have tried using Xtramath in the past, and maybe will try again.  My problem is just that it never really is that convenient.  I forget the password, my computer or the school computer is not charged and have to find a cord that works, internet slow, etc.  But, I will have to better plan and hopefully that will work out.

My other thing, I really don't like MM overall.  I don't know why.  I know it is me.  I just dread having to teach it over and over for the next bunch of kids.  I like that it is easy to print, hand to them and they do the work.  I teach the younger ones.  My older has been more independent and that is probably a bad idea.

I really want to try Singapore but when I look at the assessments for what level I get discouraged because they would all be starting at a lower level.  I know grades don't matter, etc., but I also want them on track for pre-alegebra by 7th.  From things I read my dd (5th grader) could do 5A/5B in 6th and be okay to start pre-alegebra from there.  I also get tempted frequently with Saxon (!!) because it seems most of my IRL friends use it without complaint!  Ahh!  Anyways, I may just switch.  Get some good review in these next few weeks and see how it goes.  

So, you think switching next year to SM would be bad?  I will have them try out the assessments.  I just don't want my current 5th grader to end up on level 4A or 4B!  

I want to thank you all for your help.  I printed up the MM reviews...oops, and some more w/s from online.  I have tried using Xtramath in the past, and maybe will try again.  My problem is just that it never really is that convenient.  I forget the password, my computer or the school computer is not charged and have to find a cord that works, internet slow, etc.  But, I will have to better plan and hopefully that will work out.

My other thing, I really don't like MM overall.  I don't know why.  I know it is me.  I just dread having to teach it over and over for the next bunch of kids.  I like that it is easy to print, hand to them and they do the work.  I teach the younger ones.  My older has been more independent and that is probably a bad idea.

I really want to try Singapore but when I look at the assessments for what level I get discouraged because they would all be starting at a lower level.  I know grades don't matter, etc., but I also want them on track for pre-alegebra by 7th.  From things I read my dd (5th grader) could do 5A/5B in 6th and be okay to start pre-alegebra from there.  I also get tempted frequently with Saxon (!!) because it seems most of my IRL friends use it without complaint!  Ahh!  Anyways, I may just switch.  Get some good review in these next few weeks and see how it goes.  

So, you think switching next year to SM would be bad?  I will have them try out the assessments.  I just don't want my current 5th grader to end up on level 4A or 4B!  

Have you looked at Math In Focus? It is Singapore based.  I like it a lot.  

By the way, if your child is testing into a lower level then they really may need to start with a lower level to solidify concepts.  I have found through my own mistakes with this that going back to a lower level and solidifying concepts was much more effective than pushing forward because of the grade label then finding the child having to move really slowly in higher level math because they are missing key pieces of the puzzle or have not mastered the pieces yet.  I have seen other parents also just move their child into whatever level they test into, work to solidify basics, then maybe work a bit longer each day to catch up (for those that felt it was necessary).  Usually, once the basics are really, really solid the time can be made up in moving more quickly through higher levels (as long as there is no Learning issue).

Best wishes...

Sure, throw in another curriculum for me to look at.  LOL.  Math in Focus preps for pre-alg in 7th?  Alg in 8th?  I will look at it.  I will make sure to start them at the right level.  It is just hard to ignore the level/grade aspect!

You might also look at Liping Ma's Knowing Mathematics. It is an "intervention" program for 4th-6th graders that takes about 13 weeks. I am using it with my dd11 to solidify a few concepts before she hits 6th garde in the fall, and it seems to really be working!