Menu

Has anyone done Apologia Chemistry in 1 semester?

My second dd did Apologia Chem in one semester and college chem in the other. Apologia Chem just does not take a well-grounded math student an entire year. My 3rd however, will probably take a year... :rolleyes:

He is starting Saxon Algebra II this year, will he be prepared?

Her family does block scheduling and always do their science in one semester and history in the other semester.

Personally I think the Apologia Bio was harder to do in 1 semester than the Chem, just way more stuff to do. The math was not above Alg I level as far as I recall from doing it whilst sitting at swim practice in the evenings... :001_smile:

hth,

Georgia

About the math: My 10th grade son is taking Chemistry in a co-op, and though we have always used Apologia in the past, the teacher decided to go with a college Chem book instead, Chemistry: Matter and Its Changes by Brady, Russell, & Holum. There has already been quite a bit of math and the kids who have not completed Algebra II are really struggling with it. Our family decided to go with Videotext math back in the 8th grade, which combines Algebra I and II, or we would be having difficulty too. Thankfully for everyone, I've never had to teach chemistry and can't say how this book compares to Apologia, so FWIW!

I had planned to do Apologia Chem at home this year, but now my dd will be taking it chemistry at the local high school. They block schedule, so she will need to complete it in one semester. My son did this last year at the hs, and it was difficult, but as long as your son's math is solid, it should be ok.

Sorry I don't have a good schedule. I did run off Donna Young's schedule for co-ops in Chemistry, but don't plan to use it now.

Veronica

We did it by doing one module per week.

Someone on this board once posted a link that proved to be very helpful to us in understanding Chemistry. The tutorials were worthwhile.

You might want to bookmark this for future reference. We found that with Apologia, it was sometimes helpful to have a different (video) explanation.

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/chemistry/gilbert/index/site_map.htm