Menu

S/o news sources

Danestress

Since we were asked in the other thread not to discuss the relative merits of particular news sources, I thought I would start a new thread.

What are your favorite news sources?

I like the AP app. I can set it to not show me things I don't want to see (entertainment news, sports, videos) so I think I get good basic news coverage, and I even let it find me so I get local news. I do prefer reading news to watching it.

Since we were asked in the other thread not to discuss the relative merits of particular news sources, I thought I would start a new thread.

What are your favorite news sources?

I like the AP app. I can set it to not show me things I don't want to see (entertainment news, sports, videos) so I think I get good basic news coverage, and I even let it find me so I get local news. I do prefer reading news to watching it.

Oh, THAT would be nice! I don't know if I can do that on my news source app, but I am sick of getting updates!! dinging on my phone, to tell me who won the NCAA bracket. I.don't.care.

I check Google News for a cross section of news and links to various regional news sources I would otherwise not even know about. I like NPR, BBC, Christian Science Monitor (which is not a religious publication, BTW), and The Week, and I also find news-related info and links on Twitter, Facebook, and forums such as this one.

My favorite is Real Clear.

They have different areas...politics, world, religion, energy, education, etc. And, no fluff or entertainment. Plus, they have articles from both left and right so you get to read both sides. The headline juxtapositions are also entertaining, for example "X is the worst thing ever" right above "X is the best thing since sliced bread." Fill in controversy of the week, mainly political and energy, world news is usually a bit more complex with less justapositions although if the issue is heavily politicized, you will get entertaining headline juxtapositions at Real Clear World as well.

Reuters

NPR

BBC

NYTimes

Al Jazeera

Mother Jones

Talking Points Memo

Politico

Christian Science Monitor

CBS News

CNN

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  Most them I follow on Twitter.

I'm going to check out the AP app.  Sounds like something I'd like.

I like to use a combo of Fox (online) and NBC (morning, sometimes evening, TV) to get a wide variety of stories.  I also read our local newspaper and occasionally get news off our radio or flip through news magazines like World or Time.  It doesn't bother me to see news from different perspectives.

In general I'm apolitical so I can see faults with both sides.  ;)  But by looking at both sides I tend to feel I see more of the whole spectrum.  I've never been good at just wanting to see one side of anything.