Menu

What to use for health?

We used AOP's High School Health -- it was okay and got the required credit out of the way.  She add in CPR and red cross training and did a project for gymnastics.  I'm at a loss for what to do for middle ds bec I don't see him liking the AOP Lifepac.  A number of people in our area use Total Health but I haven't really looked into it yet.  CK12.org has a high school flexbook that I've considered too.

We used AOP's High School Health -- it was okay and got the required credit out of the way.  

Why do you say it's a required credit? Required by whom? My oldest is in college now and we didn't run into all colleges that expected it - and we looked at a variety - public, private, Christian etc. 

Heather

Why do you say it's a required credit? Required by whom? My oldest is in college now and we didn't run into all colleges that expected it - and we looked at a variety - public, private, Christian etc. 

Heather

Even if it's not required by the prospective school, I think it's an issue to grow up and have no clue about basic things like nutrition, sexually transmitted diseases (now SIDs), public health issues, anorexia/bulimia, cancer, etc.  Not everything useful to a college student or adult is hit in elementary or in the regular course of life. I got Total Health, and it didn't seem to be worth much on those issues.  I can look at it again, but it's going in my sell pile.  But I'm biased.  I was ps almost all the way, and I think it's astonishing what kids come out of cs NOT knowing.  Talk about head in the sand.  

I made a list of topics I wanted to cover with dd and have been looking for resources to cover them.  I do have an Abeka health text lying around, though I'm not sure it hits what I want.  I ended up getting her the TC nutrition course through the library for that portion, because I didn't really like any of the books I found for her.  Health is typically only 1/2 credit (say 60 hours), and the TC course is 18-ish, more if you discuss or add a project.  So it doesn't take a lot to accomplish your goals.  

Ok, here's my list.  We'll have to go at it more this summer and finish it, because I don't want it following us into fall.  She's just now mature enough to deal with them anyway.

Nutrition

Cancer (skin, breast, how to ID)

fetal development

controversial issues (euthanasia, abortion/adoption)

First Aid, CPR

Smoking, addiction, alcohol, drugs, etc.

gender roles, modesty

sex (SIDs, dating, etc.)

vaccines

germs, HIV

self-defense

That self-defense could also go under PE hours.

To me, those were the topics that might not get covered in the regular course of the day or regular subjects.  I think they should actually be informed on WHY states like South Carolina are putting marijuana on the ballot (or considering it) and learn how to sort through those issues and figure out what they believe.  I think they should read the stats and books on the mental health implications of early sex AND get info on birth control so they can be informed.  

There are other ways to accomplish those goals, and not everything has to be done equally.  For instance someone was telling me the local teen pregnancy place does workshops for school groups on issues.  That's awesome, and maybe we'll get to arrange or attend something like that.  I think they should know about these issues, on some level.  I don't expect incredible retention, but I want enough exposure that she doesn't look at the doc like he has 3 eyeballs when he says something, kwim?  That's the point of a health class, and I think it's important, even if it's not flashy or necessary for a college application.

Here's a list I've been compiling on amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/39T3SNB2094EN/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go_o?   It's not perfect, and we're certainly not using all those things.  Gives you ideas though on ways to go and how straightforward it could be.  The books on sexual issues were the ones that most interested me, since those become such big issues in college.  

We used Total Health with the My Father's World syllabus.  It is a Christian resource, but not as "in your face" as Abeka.  My oldest commented that it pretty much covered things we practice (and preach) as a family, but that there were parts here and there that were new information.  My Father's World also schedules Josh Harris' book on dating, and I found that helpful as well because it brought up discussion points.  We're not anti-dating entirely, but the seriousness of what he discussed is good.

Even if it's not required by the prospective school, I think it's an issue to grow up and have no clue about basic things like nutrition, sexually transmitted diseases (now SIDs), public health issues, anorexia/bulimia, cancer, etc.  Not everything useful to a college student or adult is hit in elementary or in the regular course of life. I got Total Health, and it didn't seem to be worth much on those issues.  I can look at it again, but it's going in my sell pile.  But I'm biased.  I was ps almost all the way, and I think it's astonishing what kids come out of cs NOT knowing.  Talk about head in the sand.  

I made a list of topics I wanted to cover with dd and have been looking for resources to cover them.  I do have an Abeka health text lying around, though I'm not sure it hits what I want.  I ended up getting her the TC nutrition course through the library for that portion, because I didn't really like any of the books I found for her.  Health is typically only 1/2 credit (say 60 hours), and the TC course is 18-ish, more if you discuss or add a project.  So it doesn't take a lot to accomplish your goals.  

Ok, here's my list.  We'll have to go at it more this summer and finish it, because I don't want it following us into fall.  She's just now mature enough to deal with them anyway.

Nutrition

Cancer (skin, breast, how to ID)

fetal development

controversial issues (euthanasia, abortion/adoption)

First Aid, CPR

Smoking, addiction, alcohol, drugs, etc.

gender roles, modesty

sex (SIDs, dating, etc.)

vaccines

germs, HIV

self-defense

That self-defense could also go under PE hours.

To me, those were the topics that might not get covered in the regular course of the day or regular subjects.  I think they should actually be informed on WHY states like South Carolina are putting marijuana on the ballot (or considering it) and learn how to sort through those issues and figure out what they believe.  I think they should read the stats and books on the mental health implications of early sex AND get info on birth control so they can be informed.  

There are other ways to accomplish those goals, and not everything has to be done equally.  For instance someone was telling me the local teen pregnancy place does workshops for school groups on issues.  That's awesome, and maybe we'll get to arrange or attend something like that.  I think they should know about these issues, on some level.  I don't expect incredible retention, but I want enough exposure that she doesn't look at the doc like he has 3 eyeballs when he says something, kwim?  That's the point of a health class, and I think it's important, even if it's not flashy or necessary for a college application.

Here's a list I've been compiling on amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/39T3SNB2094EN/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go_o?   It's not perfect, and we're certainly not using all those things.  Gives you ideas though on ways to go and how straightforward it could be.  The books on sexual issues were the ones that most interested me, since those become such big issues in college.  

You are hitting and what I'm looking for.  I want a course that covers everything.  I could get my dd the first aid/cpr course, but I'm looking to cover a wider range of topics, topics that the Christian health curriculum avoids. I'll look at some of the books on your list.  I would love a total curriculum, only because it's easier to count for our umbrella school.  And yes, health is a required credit (1/2 credit) for HS. Our umbrella requires it, and so does the state. And I think it's important to cover. 

You are hitting and what I'm looking for.  I want a course that covers everything.  I could get my dd the first aid/cpr course, but I'm looking to cover a wider range of topics, topics that the Christian health curriculum avoids. I'll look at some of the books on your list.  I would love a total curriculum, only because it's easier to count for our umbrella school.  And yes, health is a required credit (1/2 credit) for HS. Our umbrella requires it, and so does the state. And I think it's important to cover. 

Well if you find it, you let me know.  I need to drag out the Abeka text again.  I haven't seen BJU's.  I didn't want to use a secular text, but in retrospect it might have been easier, kwim?  I'm assuming that's what OM uses.  I could go look.  I think it's easier to talk through spin and at least have the topics in front of you.  Maybe the texts have gotten really nasty?  Dunno.  I was amazed as I pre-read books HOW perverse the attitudes were.  There was a book by Dr. Oz that I pretty much gave up on.  Even the teen version by Toni Weschler I wasn't crazy for.  Now maybe that would change if I looked at them now, with my dd a year older.  I'm just saying it turned out to me to be harder to cover those topics with a variety of books than I had anticipated.  The assumptions they're working from (status of the child, options for the child, etc.) have gotten pretty extreme.  I was looking for more like facts, consequences, not teen liberation spin.

We're using:

• Glencoe Health (2004) (read chapters, discuss, do online quizzes--skipped the chapters on reproduction and sexuality as it was covered in the OWL class below)--picked it up very cheaply at the used bookstore.
  • online quizzes at http://www.glencoe.com/sec/health/gh2004/index.html
  • updated nutrition info  http://www.glencoe.com/sites/north_carolina/teacher/health_fitness/index.html.
  • http://www.teenfitfx.com/index.php
  • participated in a 40+ hour course on human sexuality and healthy relationships through our UU church, Our Whole Lives. It's a curriculum created jointly by the UU church and United Church of Christ, where they share the basics and each denomination adds in their religious material for their own kids. Excellent, extremely thorough program (the list of topics is here http://www.uuabookstore.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=720 ). They have age-appropriate curricula from K-adult, but this was the 7-9th level (ours does it for 8th graders). If you have a UU or UCC church nearby, it may be worth looking into. I anticipate she will participate in the 10th-12th grade level when she gets there. Be aware they do discuss *everything* very frankly but in the context of healthy relationships, consequences, responsibility, and self-respect, which worked for us but may well be outside the comfort level of some. 

She's been in aikido since age 6, and did a one session self-defense class this spring with her Girl Scout troop. She's also been certified for CPR/First Aid through Girl Scouts, so I didn't worry too much about those areas. She and my husband are involved in community theater, and through that we had the opportunity to see a one man play about experiences with addiction and the play "reasons to be pretty" (about miscommunication and unhealthy relationships). Her Girl Scout troop did a session on self-esteem and we watched "Miss Representation" in prep for that.

Teaching Tolerance http://www.tolerance.org/teaching-kits  has a free dvd and curriculum kit on the topic of anti-gay bullying (as well as other topics good for history)---the topic was covered for us in OWL, but I had this in mind as a backup.

She'll finish up the course this summer, as a rising 9th grader, but I think this is definitely sufficient for a half-credit high school health class.

For us I think it will have to be a "build it ourselves" course.  I plan to make a list like OhElizabeth's and find resources to flesh it out.  I will probably cover the list in small chunks over more time, rather than pack it in to one semester/summer.  For example, I plan to use the UU's Our Whole Lives (heavily modified, as it's made for a group) for the sexuality/relationships topics, but I won't do the chapters in order and I will save the more mature chapters for a more mature/realistic time.  I also think that doing those topics piecemeal will ensure that the conversation is ongoing and evolving, rather than "I'll hold my breath while I spit out sex stuff and then we never, ever have to talk about it again."  ;)

For us I think it will have to be a "build it ourselves" course.  I plan to make a list like OhElizabeth's and find resources to flesh it out.  I will probably cover the list in small chunks over more time, rather than pack it in to one semester/summer.  For example, I plan to use the UU's Our Whole Lives (heavily modified, as it's made for a group) for the sexuality/relationships topics, but I won't do the chapters in order and I will save the more mature chapters for a more mature/realistic time.  I also think that doing those topics piecemeal will ensure that the conversation is ongoing and evolving, rather than "I'll hold my breath while I spit out sex stuff and then we never, ever have to talk about it again."  ;)

I know things work differently for different families, but have to say that we found the group aspect of OWL to be one of the most beneficial parts. My daughter says she heard more opinions, was able to discuss them with more people (other kids her age and the adult mentors), and it was a lot more fun :).  In ours, the kids could write questions that were gathered and then discussed anonymously (every kid had to write something so it wasn't obvious where the questions came from) each week, for instance. It really helped her to see the kinds of things other kids were asking about, and that she wasn't "weird" for not knowing/wondering about something specific. They also brought in guest speakers, like a pregnant couple and kids from the local LGBTQ program speaker's bureau, to talk about their experiences and answer questions. I think it removed a lot of the tension and awkwardness around the topic for the kids. I can tell you based on our experience and talking with other parents whose children went through the program years ago, that OWL can serve as a springboard for the conversation to be ongoing. :) I know my daughter is *much* more comfortable talking about those topics with me after having gone through the program.

I know things work differently for different families, but have to say that we found the group aspect of OWL to be one of the most beneficial parts. <snip>

I agree, and participating in a group would have been my preference.  Unfortunately, the only local place that offers it has done classes only for girls in the past several years.  Also, no one ever returned my phone call.  ;)  I tried!

See I'd never see the need to put this stuff in a school course. There isn't anything on that list we haven't talked about many times over the years. Things things are more life discussions than school to me. 

Well see in general I would have agreed with you.  It just happens that in our case we haven't gotten done some things I'd like to get done.  Some things are nitpicky too, like it's one thing to eat well as a family and another to actually sit down and talk about digestion and why you food combine, why you eat certain things, etc.  But if you've already hit those things to the degree you want to, you've already done it.  Just saying we haven't to the degree I want to, and the health credit gives us that chance (and the prod dd needs to suck up and do it anyway.  ;) )

And I have to ask..... what exactly do you mean by 'gender roles'? 

Well initially when I made my list I meant in the more typical/christian sense (roles of men and women in the home, women in ministry, etc.).  That obviously crosses over with Bible topics.  Now that I see where the culture is (that kids are being told in school not only to choose their orientation but their gender), I think it's a necessary topic to understand.  This is not a topic skipping the christian community.  In fact it seems to be to this generation what abortion was to ours.  

But again, if you've had all the talks there you want to have, that's awesome.  :)

I agree, and participating in a group would have been my preference.  Unfortunately, the only local place that offers it has done classes only for girls in the past several years.  Also, no one ever returned my phone call.  ;)  I tried!

That's a shame. The one my daughter attended was co-ed.