Menu

Happy news for DD!

FaithManor

As many of you know, she took a year off from U of MI, worked as a medic, and got married also having emergency surgery in there and having a major health crisis.

So, she moved to NJ with her hubby, transferred her medical licensing, and has been working as a medic there, but needs about five classes in order to graduate with her chem degree.

Well, she finally got the agreement between Rutgers and U of MI negotiated so she can start this summer. She'll have once class beginning in May, two classes in the fall term, and two classes in winter/spring term. She'll graduate next, early May.

The sad thing is that due to the cost of coming back to Ann Arbor for graduation, she has already decided in advance that she isn't going to walk. The reason for that is she and hubby can't take time and money to come here for commencement, and then come back again three weeks later for her brother's home school graduation and open house. Due to the competitive rocketry season, and the second weekend in May ALWAYS being TARC Finals, we can't move his graduation date and have both events in the same week. She really does not want to miss her brother's party, and because she is such a pragmatic person is not the slightest bit ruffled by missing commencement. She has a "just mail me my diploma" kind of mentality, LOL!

I'm a little sad that I won't be at U of MI for commencement, but I am excited because what we will do is have a combined ceremony and party here with her brother. We'll recognize her achievement in addition to his, and then have a lovely family and friends dinner.

Anyway, this time last year, the doctor told us to expect that she had ovarian cancer and that the prognosis would be very poor. Instead, our girl is healthy, happy, thriving, working in a field she loves, and finishing the degree that might, just might, if she decides to do so, propel her towards taking the MCAT - she has played with the idea. There was no cancer and we have added a lovely young man to our list of sons on top of still having her with us. It's hard to imagine ever being a happier mamma!

Faith

Good for her!   I would encourage her to attend graduation even if it's only her husband, and maybe some of his family, in attendance.  She's earned it! 

Then when she visits you, you can display a photo or even watch a video, of her in her cap and gown and share her joy with your family's graduation party.  Just a thought. 

That is fabulous!  And graduating at home with her brother in a double graduation will be very special and very appropriate for a homeschooling family.  How often do you get to do a college graduation?  It will be wonderful.  Every bit as special as attending the big, impersonal U of MI ceremony. : )  What fun!  What wonderful news!

Nan

All my dreams for my dd: health, happiness, love, academic achievement and success. Huzzah!

Great idea to do a combined celebration. Can you play Pomp & Circumstance and make her walk in the room separately? You could give her a mock diploma. I'm silly enough to do something like that. :)