Menu

What's the name of this LA program?

Acadie

I can't seem to find posts I read before about a fairly new language arts program that includes reading, copy work, dictation.  I think it was for younger grades only (I'm looking for 3rd) and was written by someone on the board, originally for her children.  It's not Queen...

Anyone know what I'm talking about??

Thanks,

Amy

Did she just recently change the name from Language Lessons Through Literature to English Lessons Through Literature?  Did anything change other than the name?

Yes, this was a recent change.  (Last week, I think.)  Nothing but the name change.  It was being confused with another language arts program.

Would you say that this program is like having FLL/WWE combined into one book? I have been looking into this as well....

Yes, they are similar.  I have used FLL & WWE, and recently swapped that combo for ELTL.  ELTL is more stream-lined for us, I like the conversational tone (rather than scripting in FLL) and it's getting done!  I would say the main differences are how the authors approach narrations, the use of whole pieces of literature (in ELTL) versus snippets (WWE); early intro to parts of speech (FLL), and memorization(FLL).  In ELTL, the narrations are more in line with CM, and less summary-like, especially in the early levels.  (From my understanding, the upper levels get into more complicated writing styles than straight re-tellings - we have level 1&2.)  In the 1st level, for example, so far she's only asked to do picture narrations, and then tells me about her picture.  It would be very easy to add more narrations, or do an oral/written narration if you desire, as there are Aesop's fables included in every lesson.  Also, in FLL1, Ms. Wise introduces parts of speech.  In ELTL, parts of speech are not introduced until level 2.  ELTL Level 1 focuses on days of the week, months, capitalization, punctuation, stuff like that.  Also, there isn't a huge focus on memory work in ELTL like there is in FLL.  I like this because I can choose what we want (and how) to memorize.  There is built in review in the lessons, and this is enough for us.  All of the "repeat this after me three times" (in FLL) was overkill for us.  Also, the copy work and grammar exercises come completely from the literature in ELTL.  For us, this gives the work more meaning.  I was doing something like that on my own before finding ELTL.  I am grateful someone has now done this for me!

I hope this made sense!  I am being distracted by my children right now.  Let me know if you have more questions, or even e-mail the author - she is very helpful! :)

Over the past few months more has changed than the name. I'm left  confused about the changes. I think most people would find the changes insignificant and beneficial, but I am a detail person, and like things to stay the same and know what's coming up.

I know some of the fables changed. Less Aesop and more non-Western fables.

Over the past few months more has changed than the name. I'm left  confused about the changes. I think most people would find the changes insignificant and beneficial, but I am a detail person, and like things to stay the same and know what's coming up.

I know some of the fables changed. Less Aesop and more non-Western fables.

I asked KathyJo, and I wasn't aware of any changes made to levels 1&2, but because of some requests for something other than Aesop in the upper levels, the stories changed to the Jakata Tales and some other folk tales.  From my understanding, that is to provide variety if you are going to be using all levels.  I am a detail person, too.  If you know of any other changes, let me know! :)

Yes, they are similar.  I have used FLL & WWE, and recently swapped that combo for ELTL.  ELTL is more stream-lined for us, I like the conversational tone (rather than scripting in FLL) and it's getting done!  I would say the main differences are how the authors approach narrations, the use of whole pieces of literature (in ELTL) versus snippets (WWE); early intro to parts of speech (FLL), and memorization(FLL).  In ELTL, the narrations are more in line with CM, and less summary-like, especially in the early levels.  (From my understanding, the upper levels get into more complicated writing styles than straight re-tellings - we have level 1&2.)  In the 1st level, for example, so far she's only asked to do picture narrations, and then tells me about her picture.  It would be very easy to add more narrations, or do an oral/written narration if you desire, as there are Aesop's fables included in every lesson.  Also, in FLL1, Ms. Wise introduces parts of speech.  In ELTL, parts of speech are not introduced until level 2.  ELTL Level 1 focuses on days of the week, months, capitalization, punctuation, stuff like that.  Also, there isn't a huge focus on memory work in ELTL like there is in FLL.  I like this because I can choose what we want (and how) to memorize.  There is built in review in the lessons, and this is enough for us.  All of the "repeat this after me three times" (in FLL) was overkill for us.  Also, the copy work and grammar exercises come completely from the literature in ELTL.  For us, this gives the work more meaning.  I was doing something like that on my own before finding ELTL.  I am grateful someone has now done this for me!

I hope this made sense!  I am being distracted by my children right now.  Let me know if you have more questions, or even e-mail the author - she is very helpful! :)

Thank You for your summary! I am liking the looks of ELTL. We are finishing our first year of HS, and have been using FLL1/WWE1. I feel that it is somewhat too easy for my older and probably for my younger. I was thinking of going to FLL 3 for next year when I found ELTL. In your opinion, do you think there is enough "review" of book 2 (in book 3) for us to just go right to book 3? That is where I have having questions, bk 2-bk 3- both?  :)

I asked KathyJo, and I wasn't aware of any changes made to levels 1&2, but because of some requests for something other than Aesop in the upper levels, the stories changed to the Jakata Tales and some other folk tales. From my understanding, that is to provide variety if you are going to be using all levels. I am a detail person, too. If you know of any other changes, let me know! :)

I want to be very clear that I do not disagree with the changes. I'm just really OCD and do not like change, sometimes even if it is for the better. I have not kept up. I really have no idea what is going on now. I moved my yahoo subscription to digest, and now I don't even see the titles of the posts anymore.

The author's customer service is AMAZING. She will explain any changes to anyone who asks, and will often send updates and older pieces of the curriculum to people who request them.

It's just me, because of my personality, that seeks to use curricula that has been on the market a little longer and is more set in stone, for better and for worse, but in stone.

Thank You for your summary! I am liking the looks of ELTL. We are finishing our first year of HS, and have been using FLL1/WWE1. I feel that it is somewhat too easy for my older and probably for my younger. I was thinking of going to FLL 3 for next year when I found ELTL. In your opinion, do you think there is enough "review" of book 2 (in book 3) for us to just go right to book 3? That is where I have having questions, bk 2-bk 3- both?   :)

In most grammar programs, you can start at any level as they review, or just go a bit deeper at each level.  So, yes, there is probably enough review in level 3.  However, level 3 moves into diagramming.  I think that's sort of advanced, and too abstract, for a very young person.  Personally, I don't want to begin that until 3rd grade.  Every child is different, so do what works best for you. :)

ETA: I see that you have a child moving into 3rd grade?  I think you would be fine skipping a level 2 grammar and moving straight into ELTL3.  We'll be using level 3 with my 3rd grader.  I use level 1 with my 1st grader now.  It is not hard for me to manage 2 levels - DD2 listens to the literature via librivox (it's free!) 3x a week. :)