Menu

Ebay purchase WWYD

Cindy in FL.

Our PS3 broke and I decided to look on EBay for a replacement because I didn't want to pay the money for a new one. I found a PS3 Super Slim that was listed as like new. Only played 10 hours, etc. I bid on it and won. It arrived yesterday and when I opened the shipping box it reeked of pets and cigarette smoke. There was foam in the box to cushion the PS3 box and it was all yellow and full of pet hair. When I opened the PS3 box, it was more of the same. The machine smells so bad that I had to put it in the garage. There was pet hair in the disk slot, too.

My youngest ds has asthma and reacts to cigarette smoke and dogs (not sure if the pet hair was dog or cat). I am seriously grossed out and not very happy.

What (if anything) would you do?

I would have taken pictures and asked for a refund since they listed it as like new and it was certainly not like new.  If they wouldn't refund I would file a complaint with ebay and even paypal if ebay did not do anything about it.  I certainly wouldn't have thrown the thing our without trying to get my money back.

I didn't throw it out. I boxed it up and put it in the garage because it smelled too much to keep in the house. Thanks for your input!

I would have taken pictures and asked for a refund since they listed it as like new and it was certainly not like new. If they wouldn't refund I would file a complaint with ebay and even paypal if ebay did not do anything about it. I certainly wouldn't have thrown the thing our without trying to get my money back.

Contact the seller (via your/their eBay accounts) & let them know you want to return it & why. They should give you a full refund. You may have to pay return shipping??? but maybe not. By contacting them, you will be opening a case against them... They'll have a limited amount of time to respond to you, otherwise eBay will step in & handle things from there. eBay generally sides with buyers in your situation.

Also, there's a forum on eBay where you should be able to get answers from experienced eBayers, too! :) 

In the future, always ask if the item is from a smoke-free, pet-free environment (if that's not disclosed in the listing description). 

(Dh & I have been eBay sellers for around 4 years now.)

First, I would check the listing - what is the seller's return policy, if any?  If they allow returns for any reasons within 14 days, you can just follow the instructions to return it.

If the listing says no returns or it doesn't specify, I would contact the seller and ask about a return.  

If the seller does not want to accept a return, I would institute a dispute through the resolution center.  Depending on how it was described in the listing (e.g., "like new"), you could probably make a claim that the item you received was not as described.  The resolution center will allow you to return it and get a refund of your purchase price + the shipping cost.  You will have to pay the return shipping, though.  

Also, I'd expect the seller to refund the price + the shipping cost, while you pay for the return shipping, just as would happen through the dispute resolution process.  If the seller doesn't want to refund the shipping cost or wants to charge a restocking fee, I would consider submitting  it to dispute resolution in order to get a full refund.

Does the PS3 work?  

Depending on how much you paid for it, it might not be worth paying the return shipping. 

I would be very disappointed, too, but I think I would at least test the system to see if it works. If it doesnt, you need to know that anyway ,because it's one more reason to open a case against the seller.