Menu

For those using AAR...

jbsoil

Next year will be our first year homeschooling.  I have been planning on using AAR 1 and AAS 1 with my first graders.  For those that use AAR, do you supplement with any other language arts curricula or is AAR enough?  Thanks for any input.

We love AAR. We finished level 3 last month. Alongside AAR level 2 and 3 this year, my ds did AAS 1, WWE 1, FLL 1, and HWOT 1-2. We didn't start AAS until this semester since I wanted to be sure he was reading well before adding something else in. WWE, FLL, and HWOT all are easy to get done with short lessons. 

We use a handwriting program, and we add WWE in 2nd and grammar in 3rd. We waited to finish AAR 1 before starting AAS with my son who is a struggling reader. When my oldest dd learned to read AAR was not available, so we used AAS with the readers, but she read quite easily. My youngest dd will start AAS part way thru AAR 1 because she seems ready.

I used AAR 2 and now part of 3 for 1st grade.  We started AAR right at the beginning.  We've used and enjoyed IEW PAL's writing program.  It cover's letter formation as the first of 3 units, then simple writing including parts of speech as the 2nd.  The 3 unit is longer writing and I don't imagine we'll finish that in first grade.  I did feel like it fit well with AAR and easily gets done in our house.  It also includes narration and a family journal.

For 1st grade you will probably want additional handwriting and maybe something for composition and grammar. Many people do wwe and fll for 1st but if the dc are not reading yet, it would probably make more sense to spend the additional time on aar/Aas instead. If you start aas1 after aar1 and then continue to move through both, I would think about adding writing and grammar after aar2.