Menu

Calling Dr. Hive! Non-healing sores on left thigh-graphic

Halcyon

For about a year I have had small sores on the upper lateral aspect of my left leg. They "sort of" heal...they are not weeping or open forever. But a dark spot always remains where the sore was, and then a new one pops up. They look like they could be ingrown hairs, or acne, but they are neither. There is no pus or weeping, just round sores about 1/4 inch wide. I thought it was a vitamin or mineral deficiency, and I have been taking supplements for abuot 1 month, and there _might_ be an improvement...but I don't know if I am imagining it. They don't itch, they're just ugly, and they KEEP reappearing. They aren't anywhere else on my body.

So weird. Anyone have ideas?

The picture wasn't great quality so not sure if this is correct or not, but the first thing that springs to mind when you say 'spot than never heals' is a basal cell carcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma. Have you shown them to your doc?

ETA: My DH is a dermatologist, so I may have a skewed idea of what is normal!

You could try dabbing on tea tree oil twice daily (of course only a clean Q-tip back in the bottle), and washing all your clothing on hot with ammonia, then dry on hot.  It is possible to have a skin infection that heals somewhat, then recurs because your clothing keeps reinfecting you.  Please don't ask me how I know this!  :P

If tea tree oil and clothes washing don't turn it around fairly quickly I'd definitely check with the doc.

Amy

I agree with EmmaNZ; a recurrent scrabbling/healing wound needs to be biopsied by a dermatologist.

My second thought is impetigo, although I don't think I have ever seen it on the thigh; does it develop a honey-colored crust?

Does it itch or blister?

Are they only on one thigh?

doesnt itch, doesn't blister, no crust, no pus. only on one thigh. 

And i am sorry if I am not being clear--there are numerous "sores" but none of them "recurs" in the same place. There is just a cluster of them in one spot. Some heal up, with a red spot remaining, and others begin to form. All in the same 6 inch square area on left upper thigh (outer side)

And i am sorry if I am not being clear--there are numerous "sores" but none of them "recurs" in the same place. There is just a cluster of them in one spot. Some heal up, with a red spot remaining, and others begin to form. All in the same 6 inch square area on left upper thigh (outer side)

this is what made me think molluscum...they don't itch but they are raised (although sometimes not very much). They tend to occur in clusters and don't reappear in the same location, leaving a spot when they heal. Apart from that, I'm not sure.

okay, i guess when mine just start, they ARE raised, albeit very slightly. And the scars are flat and red. I am leaning towards molluscum, folks. Wow. You guys are awesome. 

It tends to happen most in young children, most of mine have had the molluscum at some point (usually spread when we would give them baths together before we knew they had it). But if you sat on something or used a towel or something that had the virus on it, you could catch it that way. They tend to reappear in the same general area.

Thanks, very helpful!

I think it is very telling that the sores keep happening in the same general area but not the exact same spot.

Never mind what I said about biopsy and impetigo. I am beginning to wonder if you are having circulation issues in that leg. Do you spend long hours sitting at a desk, or do you tend to sleep on the side of your body where the sores develop?

I don't think the circulation is necessarily inadequate, but that the circulation gets compromised by sitting or sleeping. You seem young and healthy, but sitting or sleeping can cause the blood to pool in that area and small sores to develop.

Thanks, very helpful!

I think it is very telling that the sores keep happening in the same general area but not the exact same spot.

Never mind what I said about biopsy and impetigo. I am beginning to wonder if you are having circulation issues in that leg. Do you spend long hours sitting at a desk, or do you tend to sleep on the side of your body where the sores develop?

I don't think the circulation is necessarily inadequate, but that the circulation gets compromised by sitting or sleeping. You seem young and healthy, but sitting or sleeping can cause the blood to pool in that area and small sores to develop.

Yes, I do sleep on that side but also on my back. My initial thought was some kind of circulation thing too. How would I treat that?

Yes, I do sleep on that side but also on my back. My initial thought was some kind of circulation thing too. How would I treat that?

Well, try to sleep on the other side, if possible. Easy to say, not easy to do. :)

You could also try brushing the area to stimulate circulation. Of course, try to avoid the sores. I know you would do so, but still felt compelled to say it. :o

Try peroxide (or tea tree oil as someone else suggested) on the sores, then polysporin to help minimize scarring.