Menu

Did my crockpot bite the dust?

RoughCollie

I have had my crockpot since 1980.  I use it a few times a month now, but it has gone years without use.  I am fond of it, and hate to throw it away.

BUT yesterday I put a pot roast in it at 12, on high.  I put whole carrots and whole, 2" diameter, potatoes in it, along with lots of beef broth -- it was nearly full.  6 hours later, the potatoes and carrots were not fully cooked, although the roast had an internal temp of 173 degrees. 

Does this mean it is time for me to get a new crockpot?

I don't know about yours, but mine sure is dead!!! It bit the dust last Sunday when somebody at church dropped it on the floor - as we were moving the food to the tables for dinner on the ground!!! I was very sad. I had tried Trisha Yearwood's crock pot mac n cheese recipe for the 1st time! But on the bright side, now I get to buy one of those fancy new programmable ones! Mine was 17 yrs old. I reckon I got my money's worth!

There are so many different ones out now! Happy shopping. I ended up purchasing mine from Kohls not on sale. Obviously, my entire town needed to replace theirs at once. Target, Walmart and Big lots was sold out of all of their larger crock pots when I decided to buy again. Not sure how that happened. LOL

*sigh*

I have had mine since 2000 and it's recently undercooked 2 roasts (one pork and one beef.) :(

I can still cook soups and what-nots in it, but no big meat.

I have no idea what to get to replace it with...
(I think my problem is a crack in the lid but I can't find a replacement anywhere, not even ebay....)

*sigh*
I have had mine since 2000 and it's recently undercooked 2 roasts (one pork and one beef.) :(
I can still cook soups and what-nots in it, but no big meat.

I have no idea what to get to replace it with...
(I think my problem is a crack in the lid but I can't find a replacement anywhere, not even ebay....)

put foil over the lid. That will prevent any heat loss due to the crack.

Older and newer crock pots definitely cook at different temps. Veggies take a LOT longer to cook than meat does--it will say so right in the book. You might revisit the book that came with it before deciding to buy a new one.

I agree. I think your veggies were too big. I find that they take longer than meat, especially if they are bigger chunks.

I agree. I think your veggies were too big. I find that they take longer than meat, especially if they are bigger chunks.

I was going to ask if the veggies were on top of the meat or underneath it.  My understanding is that veggies take longer to cook in the crock pot than meat so several crock pot books that I own suggest that you always put the veggies on the bottom and then put the meat on top of them.  Of course, if it's always worked before, you can disregard this advice :)