Menu

Can someone with a Samsung phone help me with questions?

mlktwins

I have decided to come into the 21st century and purchase a smartphone.  I'm very interested in the new Samsung S5.  I'm mostly planning to use it to be in contact with my boys' sports teams (updates, etc), obtain info as need (i.e. directions, store hours), use for discounts that I see many people use at the register.  I will have my email attached to it and will check Facebook and the boards a few times a day :-).

My other reason is for the camera in the phone.  Pictures are VERY important to me and I do have a nice DSLR.  However, there are many times I would love to click a cute pic of my boys and don't have my camera or a smartphone to take one.

Can anyone tell me about the picture quality of the pictures if printed any out (or used them in a photo book)?

How do you get the photos from your phone onto a computer?  I do not plan to do photo editing and printing from my phone.

Also, I haven an iTunes account for an old iPod and my iPad.  Most of the songs loaded into iTunes are from Amazon download, not from iTunes, so I'm hoping I can get some of them on the S5.  Is there a way to do that?  Is there an account (like iTunes) that I would sync my phone to?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read (and answer).  I've resisted a smartphone for so long (DH has had an iPhone for 4 years now).

I have a smaller Samsung. I've been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the pictures. I haven't printed them or photo-booked, so no help there, sorry. To move the pictures from the camera to the computer dh uses the charging chord, there is a usb connector inside the past that plugs into the wall.

Another thing you might be interested in is that -my- phone has a slot for a memory card and the phone was easy to configure so that it stores pictures there, rather than use up the phone memory. I should be able to put music there also, but I'm in the process of figuring that out...

You can upload you music from a commuter to Google Play Music for free. This will work for most tracks unless you have old ones with DRM. Any music you want on your phone instead of in the cloud can either be "pinned" from Music or transferred directly.

No smartphone camera will give you good action shots. The Samsung phones take decent pics at a resolution more than adequate for prints.

Your phone can automatically back up pics to Google+ pictures, Flickr, or anither service. You can also connect your phone to the computer directly or use WiFi transfer (I know this works between phones) or another protocol I can't remember the acronym for.

Samsung also offers a free, ad-free, Pandora- like streaming music app for Galaxy owners called Milk Music. The interface is amazing.

ETA: And I say this as a long-time Samsung app-hater.

Here's a link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.mdl.radio

Samsung also offers a free, ad-free, Pandora- like streaming music app for Galaxy owners called Milk. The interface is amazing.

Ooh, that sounds VERY nice. Off to check it out, thanks for the heads-up!

Samsung also offers a free, ad-free, Pandora- like streaming music app for Galaxy owners called Milk. The interface is amazing.

I need to check this out too.

I have been using Windows Media to download audio files--books, music--from my computer.

I have a galaxy nexus.  I seldom print photos, but they look great on the computer (and a recent software update for the phone has made them better than when it was new.)

I use drop box.  it is free, it is loaded on my phone and my computer and they are automatically sent to dropbox by my phone.  I heard of dropbox because an online friend uses for her photography business.

the camera has many of the same features as a decent point and shoot.  you can adjust lighting, zoom, resolution, etc.

I've even seen some things to be able to add an exterior lens.  I've also read about people who've added an exterior lens and turned their smartphone into a microscope.