Menu

Bathroom remodel, want to help me make choices?

LifeLovePassion

After a catastrophic event in our bathroom, we will have to remodel the upstairs bathroom much sooner than planned and now I am rushing to make choices and my head is spinning! The biggest decision is the vanity.

Now we have a 60 inch vanity, I am wondering if we should size it down to 48 inches? The extra space sometimes just provides an opportunity to clutter the counter more.  

What wood should we choose? DH will make the vanity so it will match stylistically the kitchen cabinets and all other cabinets in the house as we remodel (hall closet, downstairs bathroom, etc). Walnut, Natural Maple or Hickory are my top choices. The kitchen (right across the hall) will probably be cherry cabinets.

The vanity top will be a solid surface, not sure on color until the wood choice is made.

Flooring will probably be vinyl plank or tile. Has anyone done vinyl plank before? How has it held up? But I can't choose it for sure until the vanity wood choice is made, seeing the theme here?

We'll replace the tub with a new one and surround.

After a catastrophic event in our bathroom, we will have to remodel the upstairs bathroom much sooner than planned and now I am rushing to make choices and my head is spinning! The biggest decision is the vanity.

Now we have a 60 inch vanity, I am wondering if we should size it down to 48 inches? The extra space sometimes just provides an opportunity to clutter the counter more.  

What wood should we choose? DH will make the vanity so it will match stylistically the kitchen cabinets and all other cabinets in the house as we remodel (hall closet, downstairs bathroom, etc). Walnut, Natural Maple or Hickory are my top choices. The kitchen (right across the hall) will probably be cherry cabinets.

The vanity top will be a solid surface, not sure on color until the wood choice is made.

Flooring will probably be vinyl plank or tile. Has anyone done vinyl plank before? How has it held up? But I can't choose it for sure until the vanity wood choice is made, seeing the theme here?

We'll replace the tub with a new one and surround.

I love hickory, but if the kitchen will be cherry, then doing the vanity in cherry would be loverly. :-)

I love having a big vanity. Surely Mr. LifeLovePassion can build a vanity with enough storage such that you won't need to clutter the counter?

It would be nice if the vanity counter and the tub surround are complementary.

I have wood floors in my downstairs bathroom. Love it. There are tiles which look like wood.

It seems to be popular right now (according to the catalogs) to have shallow storage cabinets (like upper kitchen cabinets) that sit on the vanity countertop. Something like that might look nice with your "extra" countertop, depending on how you have the rest of the bathroom laid out. If you like the idea of a more open bathroom instead, by all means, get a smaller vanity.

Have fun! We're almost finished with a bathroom remodel. It's coming together nicely, but our choices were fairly limited because it's really tiny. We'll be happy, but I would love to have the dilemma of big vanity/little vanity. :-) You'll find something you like, but I know it's hard to decide in a short timeframe.

If you like cherry, can your husband finish it with extra lacquer or something? I know that's not terribly technical, but I had an uncle by marriage that built and refinished furniture, and I think he used to add extra finish of some kind to things that were going to take a beating--they usually lasted very well.

The only "problem" with cherry is that it is a softer wood and the bathroom vanity would get more abuse than the kitchen cabinets.

Maple is one of my favorite woods....it can be stained to look like cherry.

We are about to go from 48 inch vanity to 30.....our master bath is so small only one can realistically be in there at a time anyways, so 30 is big enough to get ready...stuff just needs to have a place to live off of the vanity top.

No real suggestions, but not sure if you've ever had the chance to look at houzz.com . Designers post pictures of their completed projects, and there's so much inspiration. 

We're remodeling our master bath as well and have used houzz to choose a general palate and materials. We hope to do a bit of a copy-cat design. Fair warning: you can lose hours to flipping through all the gorgeous pictures!

We have remodeled kitchen, bath & bath/laundry in the past few years.  We did birch in the kitchen as some  of it was stained green, and cherry in the bathrooms.  Cherry is gorgeous, but yes, I have knicked it in one spot.

Our vanity is longer than 60 inches, maybe 74?  We kept the double sinks and put a cabinet on the counter between the two sinks with individual mirrors over the sinks.  .  I have an outlet in the cupboard, and my hair dryer is instantly ready to blow dry my hair.  I have a mirror on the inside of the cabinet door.  The lower vanity is open below the cabinet and I can sit and do my make up and hair.  LOVE IT!

At 60 inches can you put in one sink and then a cabinet on the other side?  We have two doors and an open shelf between them.  I had glass put in the top door, which is smaller and the bottom door is solid.   I love the sinks I put in, but they are raised above the counter top.  I would put undermounts in to gain a flat surface on the counter. 

I also have seen recently where the upper cabinet over the counter is hung from the celiing and stops 18 inches or so above the counter.  There is a towel bar hanging underneath the cabinet.  It looked great.

We just put vinyl plank in our kids' baths. It's mid-remodel, so I don't know how they'll hold up over time. It was inexpensive and seemed worth the risk. We can always replace with tile. It feels amazing underfoot with the cork underside. Just standing in the hardwood hall then in the vinyl bathroom you can feel a difference. BIL (our contractor) is planning to put it in the house he's building after doing it in a $$$ lake house renovation for a client.

We have the above counter cabinet in our bathroom (redone 2 years ago) between double sinks. We put 2 (one on each end) on the counter in the girls' bath. Their counter is 84" long and the cabs are 15" wide with a sink in the middle. I put electrical outlets inside the cabinet. It has worked great for our bathroom. My hair dryer lives in there, plugged in, and I can just shut the door when I'm done. We also put plugs underneath in our bathroom for DH's razor charger and toothbrush chargers, so they don't clutter up the counter.

Our cabinets sit on the counter but don't go up to the ceiling (supposedly makes a small room feel taller?), and they're not as deep as the counter. I want to say they're 14" deep? Waiting on the countertop for them to be installed and I can't remember!

As far as wood choice--what sort of feel do you want the room to have? Those are all beautiful but very different. :)