Menu

What after TT precalculus?

Nonmathy dd has finished TT alg2 and geometry so will be continuing with TT precalc to finish the series. She ought to complete that by late fall. Understanding that TT is a gentler program (that's why we've used it), what would be a good next step? She is not pursuing a math or science major/career, but we want her to be well prepared for college. There's a good chance she could dual enroll in a college math course to fill that gen ed requirement in 12th grade...but that's not definite. Is there an advanced math (but not calculus yet) course anyone would recommend after TT precalc? Or should we try and do an intro to probability and statistics instead? If so, which?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dual enrolling is one idea. She should definitely take the placement test, should she decide to do so.

If that doesn't work, I'd actually choose AP stats (should be accessible after alg 2 even, so definitely after precalc) over a further precalculus course. I consider it more useful for non-mathy students. However, another precalculus course is not a bad idea either.

The only thing that I really would not do is take the year off math, which it doesn't sound like you're planning to do.

I don't know if you've been using 1.0 or 2.0 on your TT, but the pre calc will be 1.0.  What you might consider doing is getting a traditional precalc text, say Foerster, and going through it.  That will eat up the rest of her school year and put her in position to do the DE you want to do for 12th very strongly.  I'm not saying TT is inadequate, because as you can see in my sig I use it.  I'm just saying seeing things twice or a new way can be good for some kids.  And then for that 12th grade course, she could do statistics instead of calculus if you want.  

I'd be going Stats in her situation.  It's likely to be more useful for her in college.

FWIW, TT Pre-Calc was sufficient for both of my older boys to go directly into Calc as per our cc's placement test.  Middle son had the highest score his adviser had ever seen from someone who hadn't already had Calc.  The only reason you might want to redo pre-calc would be if she doesn't test well on the placement test (meaning she didn't really "get it" going through it).

At our school a DE class called "College Algebra" is an option after Pre-Calc for those not planning on continuing in math heavy fields.  Some colleges will accept the college credit for it.  Others do not.  It depends upon the college, and sometimes, the major.

Good thoughts...thank you. I'd like to see her either DE or CLEP college algebra in 11th grade, if possible. It sounds like that is a reasonable goal after she completes TT precalculus. I also very much like the idea of statistics in 12th grade. I've never paid much attention to statistics texts, so I guess I have another year to look around and ask questions. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ds will be a senior next year and I just signed him up for AP Statistics with Pennsylvania Homeschoolers.  He is now leaning toward an International Business major (don't blink, this could change next week).  He is not a STEM guy and wants to get a double major in English and a minor in French.  I spoke with a public school counselor who gave me the idea of doing the Statistics instead of the Calculus.  Ds LOVED the idea.  He took the AoPS Probability and Statistics class in 9th grade and really enjoyed it.  (He really disliked the Algebra 1 class with them for some reason.)  I think the AP Stats class will be right up his alley.  I have traded emails with the teacher and she has a senior herself this year.

Good thoughts...thank you. I'd like to see her either DE or CLEP college algebra in 11th grade, if possible. It sounds like that is a reasonable goal after she completes TT precalculus. I also very much like the idea of statistics in 12th grade. I've never paid much attention to statistics texts, so I guess I have another year to look around and ask questions. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

You could DE Stats... my youngest is doing that at his ps.  Or are you looking for non-college level?  If so, Life of Fred could be good.

My middle son self-studied at AP level his junior year, then took the AP test (getting a 5).  If you want that level, I can look back and see which book we used.  I got him the TE since he was self-studying.

FWIW, I've heard that Life of Fred is NOT good for AP level.