Menu

Downside to early advancement?

So far as I know, almost all of the top schools have done away with merit aid over the past decade, because it was mostly going to the kids who least needed it.  That page looks really old... the graphics and colors and overall poor quality screams 1999.  It doesn't match their current main webpage, either.  I would bet that's an old webpage that they never got around to taking down.  Did you get to it from a link on the Stanford website?

I googled the term "Stanford Presidential Scholarships" and that link was the first one to come up. It's entirely possible that whoever runs Stanford's website just forgot to take it down.

Stanford probably has less overlap in admissions with the other top schools than it did back when I was going through and so doesn't need to offer incentives to poach kids away from Harvard, MIT, etc.

It definitely isn't a full ride (or anything close) merit scholarship.

It was never a full-ride, but between that and the Girl Scout scholarship she'd won, I think she had something like half her tuition paid for. She deserved it academically, no question about that. However it did annoy me a bit that I was having to cram in a heavier load in order to graduate in 3 1/3 years for financial reasons and a number of our other friends graduated with student loans while she came from a very wealthy family but had gotten all this scholarship money.

Full tuition and even full ride scholarships still exist. I'm looking through some of them now on Naviance.

Yes, they do.   But not from Ivies or MIT (and most likely Stanford).   FWIW, my ds has enough scholarships that he is basically attending school next yr full-ride, so I hope my post didn't suggest that it isn't possible.

Yes, they do.   But not from Ivies or MIT (and most likely Stanford).   FWIW, my ds has enough scholarships that he is basically attending school next yr full-ride, so I hope my post didn't suggest that it isn't possible.

My comment wasn't in regard to what you posted; in fact, I don't even know what you posted.

My point is that there are a number of scholarships that can be applied toward any school, including Stanford. The money does not come from a school but from other sources. My son's guidance counselor recommended two that are full ride for eight semesters providing the student maintains a certain GPA and reapplies each year. These two are merit based and are only available to students from certain areas. I'm still looking through the list, though.

Do you know of any other resources like Naviance, directed to parents?  My district, of course, no longer participates w/ Naviance and the guidance people have no other suggestions.

I bought this book from our library's used bookstore: Scholarships, Fellowships and Loans. You might be able to get it at Amazon or some other bookseller.

This site seems related to that book:

http://find.galegroup.com/gdl/help/GDLeDirSFLHelp.html

More info about the online resource but it looks like it links to the same website:

http://library.pepperdine.edu/news/index.php/2013/01/scholarships-fellowships-and-loans-2013-30th-ed-now-available-online/

Do you know of any other resources like Naviance, directed to parents?  My district, of course, no longer participates w/ Naviance and the guidance people have no other suggestions.

Some schools allow guest access to their Naviance scattergrams. There's one listing in this thread on College Confidential, and I'm pretty sure that I've seen more in the past.

My comment wasn't in regard to what you posted; in fact, I don't even know what you posted.

My point is that there are a number of scholarships that can be applied toward any school, including Stanford. The money does not come from a school but from other sources. My son's guidance counselor recommended two that are full ride for eight semesters providing the student maintains a certain GPA and reapplies each year. These two are merit based and are only available to students from certain areas. I'm still looking through the list, though.

The easiest scholarships to earn are institutional scholarships awarded directly from the school.  One of the problems people run into with outside scholarships is that they directly reduce aid from the institution.   Knowing whether or not a school allows for stacking of scholarships is a huge consideration.    But, I have never heard of 4 yr full-ride outside scholarships before.

Thank you Kathy.

One last question, off topic...if ds takes the SAT for the first time in October, will that impact scholarship considerations, or is that the last possible test date to not have to worry about anything?

He is a rising sr?   It is going to depend on the school.   Some schools have deadlines as early as Oct15 or Nov 1 for scholarship in order to qualify for scholarships.   Some have much later dates.   I would recommend looking now and deciding whether or not the June test might not make sense.

But, I have never heard of 4 yr full-ride outside scholarships before.

They are available. My daughter received an almost full-ride scholarship not through her university but from an outside source. (We paid $1000 for her to get a single room.) My youngest is going to apply to two different full-ride scholarships. One is only available to students from this high school and the other includes students from other areas in the country as well as ours. Another full ride I found for our area is for kids who caddied at a certain golf club.

They are available. My daughter received an almost full-ride scholarship not through her university but from an outside source. (We paid $1000 for her to get a single room.) My youngest is going to apply to two different full-ride scholarships. One is only available to students from this high school and the other includes students from other areas in the country as well as ours. Another full ride I found for our area is for kids who caddied at a certain golf club.

That is really amazing. And you found them in the book you recommended or Naviance or a combo of both?

The only outside scholarship ds found really worth applying for was the NESA scholarship, but they don't announce winners until July 15th which means that students will have needed to make their decisions long before then.

Could you elaborate on what you are thinking here bc I am confused. Your first paragraph makes me think you aren't talking about college classes? Bc neither of those apply to college class enrollment.

It is possible for students to study post cal at online via sources like Stanford online high school (OHS) or via opencourseware, but AoPS doesn't really have courses offered regularly for post cal (they have TAPAS and group theory, but they aren't really regular classes and are only offered occasionally.)

DE post cal is going to be based on AP test scores. Significantly advanced students can not really DE at most CCs bc they don't always offer upper level courses even if they are listed in their course catalog. Universities are going to be easier access for what coursework is needed or online classes (and there are more than OHS.)

Oh, I'm not referring to enrollment in college courses but in middle/high school level coursework through the local homeschooling community. And grumbling about how there's not much receptiveness to acceleration here. That was a separate complaint. Sorry. Regarding post-cal, that's several years away so I am thinking ahead (overthinking, maybe, considering that there's evidently a lot more information to digest here at TWTM forums?). But the thought process continues... if you are talking about not being able to DE at cc's so you have to go to the University to get your advanced level maths/sciences, it seems (well, seemed) intuitive that you would just move the whole course of study there... Obviously it's not so...er...obvious now.

Oh, I'm not referring to enrollment in college courses but in middle/high school level coursework through the local homeschooling community. And grumbling about how there's not much receptiveness to acceleration here. That was a separate complaint. Sorry. Regarding post-cal, that's several years away so I am thinking ahead (overthinking, maybe, considering that there's evidently a lot more information to digest here at TWTM forums?). But the thought process continues... if you are talking about not being able to DE at cc's so you have to go to the University to get your advanced level maths/sciences, it seems (well, seemed) intuitive that you would just move the whole course of study there... Obviously it's not so...er...obvious now.

The first part never bothers me bc I have completely different educational standards and objectives than the vast majority of homeschoolers. I am much happier teaching my kids myself or hiring private tutors until they are ready for college equivalent work. There are even the few AP online gems. ChemAdvantage is a great AP chem class.

As to the 2nd part, no, we don't move their entire course load to the university. We only move what we are incapable of achieving by alternative routes. DE is an option, but it isnt my first one. Humanities have been pretty manageable at home. We get very creative and have a lot of fun. How many 9th graders study 3 foreign languages, study in great depth the literature of their choosing, can pick Russian history for their history course bc they are fascinated by Russia, and study novel writing? Homeschooling is a blessing this way. We can move at whatever pace we want, how ever we want.

For me personally, science and math beyond high school level are better DE.

@8FilltheHeart that makes sense. Thank you (to you and all the other experienced parents here). My assumptions and expectations have been drastically shaken up and I now have an idea of how much more there is that I need to learn. YESSSSSS!

Full tuition and even full ride scholarships still exist. I'm looking through some of them now on Naviance.

Do you know of any other resources like Naviance, directed to parents? My district, of course, no longer participates w/ Naviance and the guidance people have no other suggestions.

I read about the Stamps Scholars program today. I haven't looked into it yet, but I thought I would mention it to you both before I forgot in case any of the opportunities might be a good match for your students.

http://www.stampsfoundation.org/scholars/prospective-scholars/