Menu

What to do in Philadelphia?

Cosmos

We spent a day there. Our favorites were the Benjamin Franklin museums. The bell naturally. ..we also hiked to a reknowned Philly cheese steak restaurant. There were tons of old buildings and cemeteries we couldn't spend much time at but wanted to. We enjoyed the visit.

Franklin Institute

Art Museum

Philadelphia Zoo (oldest in the country, I believe) if you're into zoos

Italian Market on a Saturday morning. It's an outdoor market, but there are other stores and bakeries in the area. Fantes if you like cooking supplies is a fabulous store. I'd skip Pat's Steaks (that's prob the renowned one someone mentioned) and head to Ralph's Italian Restaurant (my all-time favorite restaurant).

Fairmount Park

Penn's Landing is hit or miss. Maybe they have a website that will list any events going on while you're there. But if you do decide to do Penn's Landing and you're into Irish history, check out the fabulous Irish Immigrant Monument.

I've heard great things about the Constitution Center, but I've never been there. 

You probably have to visit Independence Hall/Carpenter Hall/Liberty Bell, but there's so much more rigamarole about security than when I was a kid. But as a homeschooler in Philadelphia I think you're obligated to go.   ;)

Betsy Ross's House - it was always the favorite part of the field trip when I was growing up in Philly. Going as an adult with my own kids, it didn't seem as fascinating, but I think the kids liked it.

The Constitution Center is very good, worth the time.   I think it's the best thing we've seen in Philly.   My family found the Liberty Bell underwhelming, to be honest. 

The Art Museum is fabulous.  It just goes on and on...

Reading Terminal Market, mentioned above, is fun!