Menu

MBTP for Science?

EmilyGF

I keep on looking at MBTP for science because I'm not really happy with any science curriculum...

But it is so expensive! Also, the books for science seem *way* too easy (while the lit books are pretty darn hard.)

Have you used this?

Emily

We used MBTP 7-9 Sound (but we didn't buy the ear model).  I liked it, but didn't love it.  It was written to the student and could be used fairly independently.  There were lots of little demos and hands-on activities.  My daughter loved following the directions to make all of the different types of instruments.  One of the worksheets was too hard for my child (but she had only just turned 7 and wasn't yet a strong reader), and the final project was kind of vague and open-ended.  

We've used it, 5-7, 6-8, and portions of 7-9.  We're a pretty science-oriented family...my kids found the content in the MBtP units too easy while at the same time having a lot of activities that were overkill and could feel like busywork (to us).  We're not using them for our science any more.

But that's not a slam on the program--I think that for a family that doesn't otherwise get in a lot of science and/or likes a lot of activites, it can be great.  And, compared to what our local early elementary schools offer as "science", MBtP can be really solid.  MBtP science just didn't continue to be a good fit for us.  We still use the lit units somewhat.

You didn't say what age you are looking for and I think that probably has an effect on the answer. I'm currently using the 9 - 11 level and I think it's quite good. I have also heard that the 11-13 and 12-14 are VERY difficult to the point that it might be too hard. But then again my youngest is thriving with MBTP so we like it all. 

My son just turned 9. I'd probably use the 9-11 or even 10-12, because we are an incredibly science-literate family.

We read (and he reads) a ton of science books - but I want him to output work beyond narration. 

Ideally, calculate probabilities from data he has collected. Ha. 

We are using the full 11-13 MBTP curr this year.  Easy is not a word I would use at any time with this curriculum.  The science is very solid and very rigorous.  In the first semester it was tooo rigorous but found it easy to tweak to our needs.  The 2nd semester of is 'just' right' for us...and dare I say...fun? lol  We are learning a TON and I have a hunch it's going to make high school science a breeze. lol  Even for a science filled family, I would venture to say you'll probably have as much science as you want with this curr.  My FAV part is the manipulatives kit you get to use with the science curr.  If you only buy the science portion, you'll need to buy the kit separate.  I was really impressed with what was in that box!

We are loving 8-10 with my gifted 8yo.  I have an older version, and it uses science kits from Young Scientist Club, Delta Education and ScienceWiz.  We have really enjoyed the science kits!  We started the year with my (then) reluctant-learner 12yo using 11-13, and it was way too hard for her.  Even I was struggling a bit to understand "Painless Earth Science", and she couldn't get through it all.  We abadoned it.  It didn't have the fun science kits like 8-10....we saw nothing fun about it at that age.  So, in my experience, the ease of the books depends on the age you are looking at.  In the younger years, some of the books might seem easy, but that's part of what makes it fun, imo.  If you're looking at the younger levels you might be able to bump up a level (but may need to do something else for a year somewhere before heading into the junior high level stuff?)

Depending on the package you put together when purchasing, you may need to buy the science kits separately.  Our kit was packed full of so much stuff ...  even 'possible' stuff that we never opened.  We have so much left over I have googled experiments to use the stuff with in order to use it up.  And, at the 11-13 level, I can REALLY tell that the first semester and second semester's author were different.  The second semester is completely different in every way than the first. 

And, at the 11-13 level, I can REALLY tell that the first semester and second semester's author were different.  The second semester is completely different in every way than the first. 

Wish I'd known that!!  We could have just skipped ahead rather than abandon.  Oh, well.  I don't have it anymore.  I don't think I could convince her to try MBTP again, though.

Depending on the package you put together when purchasing, you may need to buy the science kits separately.  Our kit was packed full of so much stuff ...  even 'possible' stuff that we never opened.  We have so much left over I have googled experiments to use the stuff with in order to use it up.  And, at the 11-13 level, I can REALLY tell that the first semester and second semester's author were different.  The second semester is completely different in every way than the first. 

What were some of the differences that you noticed?

What were some of the differences that you noticed?

The activities weren't as ..hard?  The material is written a bit differently, much less intensity and more enjoyable in 2nd semester.  Far fewer activities to solidify the lesson.  More on a middle schoolers level.  Semester 1 felt like high school science with activities in over drive.

We are using the 6-8 unit on Matter and Movement. My oldest dd is loving it. The activities and experiments are explained well and use basic household items, and the discussion points are much more thoughtful than a lot of other curriculums I've encountered. I also appreciate that there are a lot of activities to flesh out each topic so we can choose what we like and discard what we don't feel like doing. Today we made molecules from marshmallows, toothpicks and spaghetti noodles and my dd's had a blast. Even better, they really grasped the concepts and are interested in reading more. I can't speak for the older grades but I've been quite happy with this curriculum so far.

HTH!

• 8 months later...
Guest smoller

I know this post is many months old but thought I would bump it up to add in my feedback. I have been using the MBTP science curriculum for 12-14 year olds for a couple of months and while I think it has the potential to be highly engaging for my not very science-y kid, we keep getting bogged down with frustrating equipment /supply issues. For example, we just finished the fourth chapter of Chemical Reactions and there have been either incomplete or ineffective supplies or instructions in 3 of the four lessons. There were supposed to be two copper wires in Lesson 1, but there was only 1 and it was too short to cut. I was too busy to run out to Home Depot so we just let it drop. Lesson 3 included balloons and jars but the balloons ripped when being placed (very carefully) over the jar mouth, thus negating the "closed system" experiment. Upon starting Lesson 4, we discovered that the included wire needed to be stripped. I do not own a wire stripper, and spent about 15 annoying minutes trying to strip the wire with a scissor before giving up and just talking through the steps of the experiment instead of doing it ourselves. There are also some other odd assumptions of what people might have in their house (notwithstanding the wire stripper because maybe I am the only person who does not own one??): the kit for one lesson of our last book (Atoms) comes with a test tube holder but no test tubes. I am sure creating these supply boxes is a huge hassle and probably a loss-leader for the company but if they are going to do it, they really need to ramp up the QC.