Menu

Books on the exotic pet debate?

Hoot

Does anyone have any book suggestions that look at both sides of the exotic pet debate with regards to both private ownership as well as zoos, aquariums, and sanctuaries? A variety of books would be fine; I'm not expecting everything in one place. icon_e_wink.gif

DS14 is considering possibly going into a field working with animals and I want him to be aware of both sides of this issue. I can obviously find lots of noise from the opposition, but I can't seem to find anything credible that isn't purely emotion-based from those who support the right to own wild animals as pets or have them housed in facilities for public viewing.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Times-Tales-Suburban-Safari/dp/1882203771/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395674213&sr=8-1&keywords=tim+harrison

Tim Harrison has a couple of books out, but this is the one I have read.  I heard there is a documentary also. I think the documentary presents both Tim's career as in animal rescue/removal and another man who owns exotic cats. 

Have you checked organizational websites? Even if they don't have a reading list posted, I've found that people who start and run non-profits are usually glad to point kids in the right direction to learn more. Wildcat Sanctuary is one that may be useful on the feline side.