Menu

in state residency if parent moves out of state?

alef

Does anyone know if a student can continue to claim in state residency if their parents move out of state? I'm asking for a friend, the student will be attending a Florida university, the family has lived in Florida for two years but the parents are moving this summer after the student graduates from high school.

We have moved, but it has been after the student was already a full time student. They need to call the school and ask. For us, as long as the student remained a full time student and didn't claim instate elsewhere, they could remain instate. Full time did not require summers. Taking classes during summer in our new location required paying OOS or would have violated the latter condition.

I would consider putting that under the heading of "don't ask don't tell." What will they do if the school decides to start charging for out of state tuition? Transfer? My husband lives in a different state than the rest if us and this caused a lot of confusion and angst when my daughter accidentally disclosed it. Since we are still married, they wanted to charge us out of state rates even though the kids and I have been AZ residents for the past 8 years. We spend summers with him in his apartment but we own a home here. They really weren't sure what to do with us, especially since the siblings don't attend public school in the state. No, special cases often cause individuals to make judgement calls that are often not in your favor. I'd just keep quiet.

This happened to my roommate in college, and I don't remember it being a very big deal. There were minor things he had to do in order to get in-state residency, so, for example, he had to use his college address as his permanent address (the address on his licence, checks, car registration, insurance, etc.). 

I do suspect it varies from state to state. I wonder if the age of the student plays a part too - would this student be 18 at the time of residency?

This happened to my roommate in college, and I don't remember it being a very big deal. There were minor things he had to do in order to get in-state residency, so, for example, he had to use his college address as his permanent address (the address on his licence, checks, car registration, insurance, etc.). 

I do suspect it varies from state to state. I wonder if the age of the student plays a part too - would this student be 18 at the time of residency?

The student is 19.