Menu

grammar and dyslexia

My son is working on a late 1st early 2nd grade level with reading.  He has dyslexia and dysgraphia.  We are wondering what to do with spelling and grammar.  We use ABeCeDarian for reading - book B2 and an online reading program that covers some topics for grammar and spelling and is O-G approach.  He is doing well over the past year.  He was diagnosed last Summer.  I'm just wondering if we should do more grammar and spelling with him.  He is doing well with handwriting now and copywork but not writing on his own.   I love spiral for him - he does well with CLE math 300 - and I'm looking into GWG and CLE LA.  Also, we did use AAS1 a couple years ago and not sure if that will work - he didn't retain it at the time but could try again.  Any suggestions?  Should I give him more time?  He understands nouns, verb, pronouns, singular and plural and is learning possessives now just out of some workbook I bought.  I'm not sure workbook approach is the best fit for him but I'm open to suggestions.  He is further behind in spelling, probably, than grammar - but all LA is delayed.

I can't tell from your sig.  Which one is your DS?  How old is he?  FWIW, my DD13 is still working on grammar (dyslexic).

You say that ALL Language Arts is delayed.  Instead of addressing grammar separately, you may need something more integrated that will review systematically in a way designed specifically for dyslexics.  Your on-line OG approach system, is it really OG?  Like, officially?  Or is it a program that is OG like?  I ask because perhaps he may need something more in depth and true OG to help out.  What was the actual diagnosis?  Meaning, is the dyslexia diagnosis broken down into what, specifically, is tripping him up? Does it indicate any strengths that you could try tapping into?  

You might get on the Barton Reading and Spelling site and administer the free student screening (fairly short and easy to do) to see if an OG based system will even really be the most effective method without other interventions first.  You don't have to buy anything.  The screening is NOT to determine what level of Barton to use or to confirm a diagnosis of dyslexia or anything like that.  Many people have found it useful for helping to get going in the right direction....

https://www.bartonreading.com/students_long.html#screen

If you really want a separate grammar system right now, you might start in an early level of Shurley English or Easy Grammar.  But I would start in an early level and use it systematically and very slowly.  See if there is a placement test.

Best wishes....

Based on my experience, I'd give more time for reading to reach age/grade/interest level. And then I'd prioritize composition aspects of writing rather than spelling or grammar--perhaps starting now with you as a scribe for him. A typing program might be good to start now too.  We like www.talkingfingers.com followed by Typing Instuctor for kids plantinum. These helped spelling to some degree, while also teaching typing. However, if you want a full LA program suitable to a 9 year old reading at 1st/2nd grade level, you could try Sopris West's Language!

Sorry for not saying age grade level...he is 9 years old and in 3rd grade. We've got nine weeks left in the school year. He does Reading Horizons online which I'm very pleased with. He is not delayed cognitively - I should have been more clear. My oldest son is delayed in all areas but my 9 year old is working at about late first grade early 2nd grade level for la. He reads at that level - his writing and spelling have suffered. He had a full psych eval done last year which showed dyslexia and dysgraphia. We think he has very little visual memory but does have good phonemic awareness. He still mixes up some letters and needs to read slowly in order to sound out words. He is an auditory learner- he loves read alouds and comprehension is high.

We do all grammar orally, so my DD has been able to stay on target despite her dyslexia.  

Some of it is easy to hear - subject verb agreement, find the noun, etc.  I read it aloud and have her say the answer, then she has to find the correct word to underline/circle/change on her own (sneaking in some extra reading).  She can even do the diagraming on her own as long as I read the sentence aloud.

It gets a bit trickier when you are working on correct comma usage and run-on sentences, but it is still very do-able.  Proofreading her own papers is time consuming for both of us, but I believe that the practice is more necessary for a dyslexic than anyone else, so I've found it very valuable.

We use BJU, and I've found that their grammar lessons have been right on target for her.  Lots of videos which engage both her visual and auditory memory, fun songs to help remember the key information, plenty of review, and worksheets that are useful rather than busy-work.