Menu

Waitlist experiences?

galtgrl

Well, my 2 girls have now both been waitlisted at 2 schools. One is no longer really being considered, but the other is one of my 17 yr. old's top picks.  If she gets into either of her 2 others (we should hear from before April 1), this won't be an issue, but if not (or if she gets waitlisted at these also), I'm not sure how to advise her.  Does anyone have any experience with staying on a waitlist & then getting in?  I understand the chances are not good.  

It is pretty funny, though - they haven't been outright rejected anywhere yet.  I was not expecting the uncertainty to be continuing...

I think dd called and told them she was really interested or emailed or something. One person told her honestly not to expect getting in and the other accepted her and increased her aide package. She attends another college with a better aide package. You can pay her deposit at whatever school she gets into and wait and see what happens with the wait list. You would lose your deposit money if you change but it's okay to do. Waiting is hard.

If you look at the common data sets for the schools (just google the school name and the words "common data set") you can see - I believe it is in that "C" section - how many students took a spot on the waitlist in prior years and how many came off that waitlist as well. This might help in decided whether or not it is worth considering.

My understanding is that if you get a call offering you a spot off a waitlist you have a VERY limited time-frame in which you can make a decision - maybe 48 hours? And, yes, you would forfeit your deposit at the other school.

Dd got waitlisted at her first choice school.  They had not taken anyone off the waitlist in the previous 3 to 5 years, but she opted to stay on it, even though we put a deposit down at another school.  Well, she got in!  Her freshman year almost everyone on the waitlist got accepted.  I don't know what the change was, but I was very happy she decided (against my advice) to hang in there.  AND their financial aid offer was MUCH better than anywhere else.  She's done very well and almost done with her junior year.

So...while waitlists are torture, there can be a happy ending. :)