Menu

Combining Writing with a 2nd and 3rd grader... just tell me what to do!

DesertBlossom

I think I've read every single thread pertaining to language arts and writing and I'm still at a loss.  Next year I will have a 3rd grade DS who reads on at least a 6th grade reading level and picks up a lot of things intuitively. DD (who will be in 2nd) also wants to be home schooled next year (they are exactly 1 year apart in age). She's reading about a 3rd grade reading level and is more inclined to write for fun than DS. When they do write, I feel like their writing is at least grade level, if not slightly above. To be honest, I haven't done much writing with DS this year. With all that said, I'm trying to figure out writing for next year and hoping to do it together to make it easier on me because I have 5 young kids. I think their abilities are close enough to make that feasible. DS also likes working independently. 

This is what I've been thinking so far:

Galore Park JE (DD in 1, DS in 2) and doing writing instruction together, possiblly CAP W&R, Writing Strands or Writing Tales.(I was all set to use WWW until something I read changed my mind!)

or

LLTL3 together with them this year and not worry about an additional writing program. I really like the looks of W&R for the year after (DD in 3rd, DS in 4th) but worry the fables will be redundant

or

GP JE with "workbook" writing instruction like Daily Paragraph Editing or 6 Trait Writing.

or

some other (fairly independent) grammar program like R&S or JAG or ....

There are too many choices. And just when I think I have it figured out I read a thread that changes my mind about it all. 

I can't answer exactly...but I would not do W&R with a 2nd grader...I would wait a year. If I had to choose for two kids those ages I would do WWE2 and Bravewriters Partnership Writing together. This may not be helpful at all but :lol:

I know that FLL and WWE are highly recommended here. I am doing FLL3 with DS this year and I can't stand it. It's not a good fit for me. And because I assume WWE will be like FLL I haven't considered it. :o

I've gone to the Bravewriter website several times and looked at their samples. The thing that turns me off is the whole "monthly subscription" thing. I need something tangible in my hand. I want to be able to see the whole thing all at once and not have to wait for it bit by bit. And last time I ordered a digital copy of something online, I couldn't believe how much it cost to print! So while the samples look intriguing, I'm too old-fashioned or something!  :lol:

I would do Junior English 1 with both of them.   I would not supplement with another writing program, at least not immediately.  I would wait to see where they struggled and supplement based on specific areas of concern.

For some reason I am leaning towards JE, especially for DS who works better independently, with me available to answer questions. DS reads well above grade level, he's doing FLL 3 and R&S Spelling 4 this year. The public school he came out of in October (where DD is now) does everything about a year above grade level. I worry JE1 will be too easy for him. 

I think DD would love something like LLTL.  Her personality is very different.

We're doing the FLL2/WWE2 combo for 2nd and 3rd. It has worked well for us since my 3rd grader is a bit "behind" in LA and my 2nd grader is about average. They have shown tons of improvement. We'll add CAP W&R next year. Since yours are a bit ahead of the curve, JAG and IEW might be a good fit for you. Good luck in your decision; I know it can completely overwhelming.

I know that FLL and WWE are highly recommended here. I am doing FLL3 with DS this year and I can't stand it. It's not a good fit for me. And because I assume WWE will be like FLL I haven't considered it.  :o

I've gone to the Bravewriter website several times and looked at their samples. The thing that turns me off is the whole "monthly subscription" thing. I need something tangible in my hand. I want to be able to see the whole thing all at once and not have to wait for it bit by bit. And last time I ordered a digital copy of something online, I couldn't believe how much it cost to print! So while the samples look intriguing, I'm too old-fashioned or something!  :lol:

It's only The Wand, The Arrow & Boomerang that are on a monthly subscription. These are like the literary guides, that incorporate dictation & copywork.  You can also get multiple months at one time.  We don't use these.  I wasn't much of a fan.

Partnership writing would come as a full download and it's around 100 pages long.  It's got 10 months worth of writing projects that can be easily adjusted for older or younger students.  We are using it with an 8 and a 10 year old and it's been going wonderfully.  I printed mine because I'm old-fashioned too and I like a paper copy. Without it I get all flustered and have nowhere to put my sticky tabs. :lol:

Not trying to push you, just wanted to clarify, as I think the Bravewriter site can be confusing about what elements to buy and what is used for what, etc.  :)  Also, if you're looking at purchasing, all Bravewriter elements are on sale at the co-op:  https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/brave-writer/?c=1