Menu

Rosetta Stone questions

1. Has anyone used the software downloaded?  And if so, do you still get headphones or are they necessary?

2.  Has anyone used Latin? And if so, is it Classical or Christian?

3. Any recommendations?  For Rosetta Stone or another Latin Curriculum for many ages such as Learnables?  

Thanks for any input!

Rosetta Stone is having a BIG sale right now but I have already tried a Home School Version on Windows 7 and it kept uninstalling, my kids tore up 2 headsets, and I loved the layout of the program but ditched it.  I have never seen the Learnables to know how it compares.  I would just get Spanish if I went that route.

Though I have not used this particular Rosetta Stone, from what I've heard about it, I would stay away.  As I understand, it makes no attempt to teach grammar or have the students memorize paradigms, which is the only way to learn Latin.

We have Rosetta Stone for French and it didn't work out for us.  My son and daughter both hated it; we use a private tutor now.  In fact, Rosetta Stone was one of my biggest curriculum fails.

For Latin, we like Memoria Press, but it is Christian Latin, not classical.

yes, we didn't have a great experience either.  I plan to go with Galore Park instead.

Thanks for the input... I still have no idea what to use.... 

I did buy Ceaser's English 1 at a great deal this weekend.  I have dd14 wanting to stop Latin and learn Spanish... I want her to continue Latin and learn Spanish as well.  I did try the Learnables computer game this weekend and was not impressed for Level 1 Spanish.  

I do have Wheelock, Henle, Prima Latina ( Used a few years ago) and Latina Christiana ( Used 2 years ago) and Big Book of Lively Latin ( have not used it very much yet since I got so spoiled to dvd's )  :)

I could not decide what to take to sell to a wonderful family with a huge selection.  I took ZERO Latin.. but I did see that they have Latin Alive DVD set and book 1.  

I will look into Galore Park and Latin Alive...   I just remembered while looking that a thread on here pointed out several mistakes in one Latin Curriculum and thought it was Latin Alive.  

Any more input is greatly appreciated.  I have kept Prima Latina to see if Big Book Videos would be for sale and they are not... good news is they are accessible to download and save now.  I have to download them after 1 am :( and meant to do that this weekend but did not.  

Rosetta Stone has not worked it for us, either. I'm sure it is fine for conversational, but actually learning the language? My son isn't learning much Spanish! And as was stated before, there is no such thing as conversational Latin. It was an expensive mistake for us!

I have three levels of RS Spanish and it was a big flop. The only benefit was my daughters have decent pronunciation. We are now doing Homeschool Spanish Academy and loving it. They pairs students with native speakers in Central America. The lessons are on Skype. They send worksheets and it is for high school credit. Surprisingly affordable as well!

Elise in NC