Menu

S/O of the Convention Thread - Can We make a list of Speakers?

Reading the big Convention Disappointment thread, I realized others have the same trouble I had last year - sometimes it is hard to tell is a speaker will be academic or at least remotely on topic, instead of the entire workshop giving the impression of a sermon or bible study. Least year I had to walk out of 2 talks after the 1st 5 minutes, because it was just too preachy for me. I'd like to not have to do that again, and often it is hard to tell with the way some of these conventions write workshop descriptions. But I know that a lot of the bigger speakers travel the country giving workshops, and go to LOTS of conventions.

SO - lets make a big thread of speakers to watch for that give helpful talks or academic ones, with little to no religion in them!

I'll start.

Kathy Kuhl was the keynote speaker at our local convention least year, and she was the BOMB. I HIGHLY recommend going to her talks, regardless of if you have a special needs kiddo or not.

The speakers I've loved at my local convention (The VA Homeschoolers convention) have been Joy Hakim, Julie Bogart (bravewriter), Edward Zaccaro.  I'm really looking forward to hearing SWB for the first time this weekend, and almost went to another state just to hear Michael Clay Thompson speak.  

I haven't been to a convention yet - I will in two days!  But I'm planning on Kathy Kuhl, Kathy Koch, MCT, Zaccaro, Mathew Poston, Shelagh Gallager, and Weiss in Greenville at the Great Homeschool Convention.  They have a nice section online with bios on the speakers and what their speeches will be about, so it was easy to go through the list beforehand.  All the ones I mentioned didn't have anything about religion in it at all.  (There were a few others listed that weren't religious either, but since I'm not a classical homeschooler, they didn't meet my specific needs.  I find y'all have the best curriculum suggests here, which is why I use these boards).

*Now I need to look up what Adam Andrews is speaking about.  I know he'll be there but I didn't mark him down as one I wanted to see.  Maybe I'll need to reconsider!  I have a lot of sessions marked down and want to leave some time for the vendor hall too.

Heather from Classical Conversations- dynamo! and Leigh Bortiens- she's a bit stiff as a speaker but great info!

Leigh Lowe of MP

Carol Topp

Jay Wile is a very engaging speaker

George Grant- he is absolutly, totally brilliant.

Does Wes Callihan very speak on homeschooling? We are listening to the Greeks by Roman Roads Media. We :wub: him.