Menu

Tips for training K'ers to listen for instructions before starting?

Jenn in CA

I need tips, or little sayings to train my K'ers to listen to the instructions before starting something. For example, the handwriting workbook. They think they know what to do, and before you know it they've filled in half the page the wrong way (often *while* I'm giving instructions). 

If they are doing it wrong and I correct them more than once (ie. they do it wrong, I correct, they try again and it's wrong again, I correct again...), they get their feelings hurt and cry.

Also I can't seem to watch them do a workbook page at the same time, to make sure it's done correctly; sometimes I've resorted to making one sit and do nothing, while I watch the other one. 

Thanks for any ideas!

Can they read?  

If they can read at all, you could make up one of those worksheets that has instructions at the top that say "Only do #10".  Then #1 to #9, are things your kids could do but wouldn't want to do.  I remember being in a class in middle school where #4 was "Go to the front of the room and hop on one foot 10 times".  

#10 was "Write your name on this piece of paper and turn it in"   If it were me, I'd make #10 be "Give mommy a big hug and kiss".  

I had heard about that worksheet from a relative so when the teacher said "Make sure you read the instructions", I read the instructions.  But, a surprising number of kids in the class did a great many of the silly things before they clued in.  

Keeping in mind that my oldest is 3 (although, I have taught both fourth grade and middle school), I wouldn't give them pencils until after going through the instructions. I would even have them repeat the instructions back to you by asking something like, "What are you going to do once you have your pencil?"

I told my son to put both hands straight up in the air. He had to stay that way while I gave instructions. At the end of the instructions I asked very simple questions about what he was supposed to do. If he answered correctly, he got to do silly things. The first one correct, he could put one hand on his head. The second one correct, he could cover one ear. The next one he got to move a hand to his shoulder. The second to last one was always the ability to hold the pencil. The last correct question was always a joke that he had to cover his mouth so he couldn't talk and had to work.

Suck a thumb, touch your nose, put your finger in your ear, make antlers on your head, there are a million possibilities.c

It was beyond silly. He would pay such close attention because he wanted to know the silly thing coming next. Giggles instead of fighting him. We even still do it sometimes today if he is just losing it one day. Parking lots especially, "put both hands on the car and listen!" People must think I'm crazy.

Mine is four, and we went through a period of her not listening to instructions. And she had no problem reading them herself, she just wanted to get to it!

I finally started making it a point to play 'Simon Says' during non-work times. This forced her to listen more carefully, and was a lot of fun...then, if she wasn't paying attention at work time to specific instructions I could slip back into Simon Says mode. It always elicits a giggle, and she really does pay attention.