Menu

Can someone please...

mhaddon

Write/design a spiral approach math program that is for auditory learners? I'm pulling my hair out and it is not fun. CLE has been the only one so far that hasn't brought tears, but still soooo slowwww. I feel so bad for him. We do skip counting songs and will do songs for multiplication next year. This is an area that is very neglected. If you are great at this stuff it would be appreciated! Hands on visuals don't seem to help us at all. And mastery never happens, spiral is a must.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Sorry you are having a rough time. Math isn't very auditory is it?

Is it fact practice where there is a problem? There are endless youtube videos that teach math facts (multiplication/division and addition/subtraction) which involve songs and other auditory ways to learn them. Times Tales may also help for multiplication as it is on a DVD which tells a story (auditory) along with visual pictures. However at some point he will still have to write - because math is about quantity it is seldom auditory (even the kinaesthetic usually involves sight too) - fact learning can definitely be auditory, but I am not so sure about the rest of mathematics. 

As for the spiral approach - use the CLE Math that you have now and possibly speed it up (if he gets it then he should not have to practice writing as many problems down - within reason) but choose which auditory facts you want to learn based on the spiral lessons - if they have got to the 2 times table then sing it. The curriculum is already spiral - you just need it out loud. Can I ask why your 8 year old is doing CLE and your 6 year old is doing Horizons - both are spiral so was there a reason you use a specific one with each child?

I'm using two different programs because my 2nd son is advanced and my oldest is struggling, they would be in the same math. It makes it easier to have two different programs in order to keep my oldest from getting upset when my younger son passes him in areas :)  I know it isn't ideal, but it works for us. Otherwise it isn't pretty. Plus my other son enjoys the pictures and my older son needs the black and white pages. We have sang skip counting songs over and over and it has helped, but advancing with him is so very slow. I at least feel better after talking to an aunt that is an instructional assistant for children like my son that are 3 years older and they have basically given up on math and reading with them. She reads directions to move through and they have given those children calculators. I refuse to allow him to use one until he's in high school. I know it would move us through, but I don't want that for him.

One of my dc was definitely an auditory learner and did well with Saxon.  S/he is actually my strongest math child so far. I don't think I would have said that in the earlier years, but something clicked and s/he became just a really strong math student. The SAT math scores were higher than my others' that have taken the test so far. 

I'm not sure what we did as I don't think we catered to the learning style.  I've always done skip counting with chants but we reinforce with flash cards.  Can you allow your dc to talk about the math with you? Talk about the math steps?  I think talking helps an auditory learner really process.  Rather than switching curriculum, I would continue to research methods to supplement/teach what you have.  

Lisa

First, from your signature, it looks like your DSs are still young -- 8yo and 6yo. Often in the elementary grades, math and/or language arts develop at different rates and in sudden bursts and plateaus. Learning seems to even out a bit once certain parts of their brains develop -- anywhere from age 9-12. Alas, that means hanging with it patiently and moving at your DS's pace, even if that feels painfully slow.

As far as spiral math programs -- below I linked you to a number of common ones. Because programs with math instruction videos can work at an auditory level (due to the verbal explanations) I also noted those programs that have some sort of video lesson component.

Finally, while you definitely want first exposure to material to be in the student's strong learning style area, I also encourage you to use supplements to help strengthen the weaker learning areas. Playing games that are math-based, or allowing computer games and math activities, can help link up the weaker hands-on / real-life use and visuals, with the strong auditory. Here are a few past threads with ideas for math games:

Best math games?

Math game apps, actual games?

Math board games

Below are more ideas for you. Hang in there! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Spiral Programs:

Saxon (K-Calculus) -- DIVE CDs an auditory help, available from grade 4+

Horizons - Alpha-Omega (K-8)

Teaching Textbook (gr. 3 - PreCalculus) -- has video tutorials for every lesson/every problem

Everyday Mathematics - University of Chicago Mathematics Project (PreK - gr. 6) -- has classroom videos

Bob Jones University Press (gr. 1-PreCalculus) -- distance learning online or DVD for gr. 1-12

Calvert (K-8)

Auditory Math Helps:

- Schoolhouse Rock: Multiplication Rock

- Mathematical Reasoning Through Verbal Analysis (gr. 2-3) (gr. 5-8)

- read aloud math-based books:

Living math books: which have your DC enjoyed?

What are some good living math books?

Your favorite living math books along the line of Penrose

Good math "story" books?

Square One was a show on PBS when I was younger that was like the Electric Company for math. You can YouTube Square One Tv and find a lot of the thirty minute episodes. Not explicitly auditory, but very helpful. My son is kinesthetic so I feel your pain. Math and history are hard ones for him.

Completely loved Square One TV.  :001_tt1:  But I'm not sure how useful it will be for a bit - wasn't it more upper elementary / middle school math concept thing?

:grouphug:  to the OP. Good luck!