Menu

good math "story books"?

dsacco

DD is thrilled with Life of Fred...she carries it around with her everywhere....

BUT her basics aren't 100% down-pat yet, so I'm looking for other story-books to reinforce some of those things...

Such as: Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (I have that one and a few other of that series coming in at the library).....

Any others? Something that maybe does multiplication?

The Number Devil

What's Your Angle, Pythagoras?

The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat

The Librarian Who Measured the Earth

Pastry School in Paris (same author as the Sir Cumference books)

The Man Who Counted: A Collection of Mathematical Adventures

A Gebra Named Al

Woolybear

Loreen Leedy, Measuring Penny and It's Probably Penny

If you look up Loreen Leedy on amazon.com you'll find a whole ton of books on math she has written, including ones on subtraction, multiplication, and fractions. We liked the Penny books best; my daughter made her own version of Measuring Penny featuring our dog.

Marilyn Burns -- http://www.mathsolutions.com -- has a series of two or three books called Literature and Math for different grade levels. These explore math topics/problems using picture books.

At http://www.delta-education.com you will find a tab to open for math at the top right; under math, there's a section called Early Math Library with pages of picture books devoted to math topics. Just looking up the page now I saw the first book was Caps For Sale. I'd forgotten how much my daughter enjoyed that one.

By all means find the Sir Cumference books -- they're math gold.