Menu

Eta Sigma Alpha...Homeschool Honor Society...

I started a chapter for our local area.  If your local area doesn't have a chapter, you can always join the National chapter.  There is also a National Homeschool Math Honor Society.   The eligibility requirements are based solely on test scores.  I appreciated being able to add the honor to my dc's transcripts.  My dc also wore the honor stole at graduation. 

Lisa

Our homeschool group has a chapter (the psi iota chapter) of it and my oldest daughter was a member in high school.  They did service projects.  

I started a chapter for our local area.  If your local area doesn't have a chapter, you can always join the National chapter.  There is also a National Homeschool Math Honor Society.   The eligibility requirements are based solely on test scores.  I appreciated being able to add the honor to my dc's transcripts.  My dc also wore the honor stole at graduation. 

Lisa

Then I guess you found that your child being part of this organization was worthwhile?  

Lisa

This is what my friend and I did too--started our own chapter.  It was easy and not very expensive.  The kids are tutoring weekly at a local elementary school for a service project, but mainly--it is nice to have another (easy) thing to add to the transcript.  It seems like public school students have so many little things like that to list!

Then I guess you found that your child being part of this organization was worthwhile?  

Yes.  I see this organization as recognition of an honor, not another way to spend a million hours time. There is a 10-hour a year community service requirement, but that is easily met.  My kids already spend lots of time in sports, work, volunteer activities, church.   The person who is now leading the group has added a few things.  One month, she invited the local (very good) private school's guidance counselor to talk to us about the high school to college process and college admissions.  She also added a nice initiation ceremony.  So, yes, it requires very little to organize and maintain a local chapter and I appreciate being able to recognize students' honors level on the transcript and at graduation.  

Lisa