Menu

Davidson: Is it worth it?

My oldest got her Explore test results back, which were very good. I'm wondering now whether it's worth it to apply for Davidson. We would have to either do private IQ testing or hope a portfolio was enough to go along with the Explore scores. I understand what they theoretically offer to their young scholars, but I'm wondering how many of you have made use of those benefits. What has it really done for you?

If it matters, we are within relatively easy driving distance of both Duke and Johns Hopkins, so those programs may be of more practical use to us long term.

For us, yes, it has been. DD has enjoyed the seminars available online (and just finished one last week), and we connected with another family not far from us with a similar age child, and it's been a great relationship for both girls. I've also used the support team and several of the parent seminars.

We did the EXPLORE + Portfolio (and some really old scores from when she was tested at age 4). It's a bit of a pain, but it was also kind of a learning curve for me to go through and synthesize what she'd done over the last few years and realize just where she was.

For a fairly young child, I felt like Duke didn't really want to talk to me, and that JHU just wanted my money.  This might be different if we were closer-Duke has one program locally, but it's for 7th-9th graders. For DYS, I really do feel that they're there to help, even if you can't go to Reno.

When we got ds's Explore scores, we did chose to get IQ testing done. We didn't think he'd qualify and that was easier to us than a portfolio.

We had the IQ testing done by a grad student so it was cheaper. Again, we were testing out of curiosity and more a thousand to one shot. I recall dh expecting scores to be much lower than they were.

The testing was useful to me and gave me some additional permission to let go and move faster in some areas with ds.

We haven't traveled to Reno, but I've gotten good information from other parents that has been helpful.

So I'd say there's definitely no harm in applying.

We've connected with many local families through the program and received some invaluable advice from those with older kids. so that's been great. The parent discussions on their mailing lists and FB groups have been helpful too. The staff have always seemed very willing to help. We did a portfolio with samples I already had on hand (math tests, writing samples, and a video) and it was pretty easy.

We actually applied twice.  The first time we applied with Explore score (that met the requirement) and IQ scores that didn't quite meet the cut-out (within a couple of points but he hit the ceiling in some areas so the IQ wasn't completely accurate).  He was denied that time.  Next time we applied with ACT scores that met the requirements several grades above where he was at plus portfolio and were accepted.  So the portfolio is definitely a viable option.

As far as what we get out of it.  The private e-lists have been the most useful for me.  Hearing others approaches, curriculum recommendations, etc has been very helpful.  Also the online seminars are very good if you are looking for help in specific areas. 

They have changed they structure somewhat in recent years but they used to have a individual family consultant (now they have a group approach) but I used that a few times for help finding resources.

So other than the hassle of filling out the application, you have nothing to lose by trying.

For us the most helpful piece was the connections to other families.  We aren't planning to go to Reno.  I don't think the family consultants do much anymore.  The elists and the private facebook page are very helpful.  We have connected with some other DYS in town too.  It was a long application, but I am told it isn't as lengthy now.  I find it helpful in a different way than the local groups because it is so PG focused.  

It sounds like there are some resources we would find helpful. I love the idea of being able to connect with local kids, but I'm struggling a little with the thought of paying for private IQ testing just for this one application. I'm going to give this a little more thought, but I don't think there's any harm in applying if we just submit the portfolio along with the Explore scores. Thanks, everyone.

Feb ones aren't back yet-My DD took them again in Feb because I figured the EXPLORE was less of a waste of her time than doing a grade level test, and it tests enough areas that it's acceptable for her records. Last year they came about the first week of April.

Those of you who put together a portfolio, what did you include?  I know they ask for work showing a few grades above the age expected grade, right?  How does that work when we are homeschooing?

Also, regarding the Explore test: where did your child take it?  When I look online, it states the test is for 8th graders and up.

Those of you who put together a portfolio, what did you include?  I know they ask for work showing a few grades above the age expected grade, right?  How does that work when we are homeschooing?

Also, regarding the Explore test: where did your child take it?  When I look online, it states the test is for 8th graders and up.

There are some portfolio guidelines and samples in this gifted wiki page.

My child's Explore test was proctored at home. I wrote to Belin Blank and they sent my chosen proctor the packet.

Is Explore still being offered though? I thought they were phasing it out this year or maybe that's next year?

I actually had several friends who had older children, especially children in PS, or who were PS teachers look through my work samples to help me figure out what was above grade level, because except for math, I really didn't know. Some areas, like writing, where I'd actually kind of thought she was behind because she doesn't write nearly as much as kids her age in PS had teachers of grades several years ahead of her age commenting that she was far ahead of what would be expected for their students. I think this is likely to be easier the younger a child is.

FWIW, almost all my DD's work was competed independently and was stuff she didn't even think of as school. Which was one eye-opening thing about the portfolio because I realized that, except for math, I really was selling her short in a lot of areas without realizing it-that she was not only capable of more, but was doing more independent of me, so I needed to provide the input and resources at a level that would help her build from there, and let her do it.

We're in the Duke TIPS level, so the EXPLORE is offered starting in 4th grade. We registered through Belin-Blank, who registered my DD initially on the computer as a 4th grader, and then changed her records manually so the score would be reported as a 3rd grader (which is the youngest it goes). She had just turned 8. The only hard part for her on taking the test was that it was given at a high school and the desk was too big for her-she ended up sitting on a history book so she could comfortably write, and then "My feet didn't even reach the ground!".

We did the Explore through NUMATS which starts at 3rd grade.  He hit the ceiling in Math in 4th grade so when he was in 5th grade I listed him as a 6th grader and then registered him for the ACT because that is the only way the computer would let register him for the ACT.  When he was a 6th grader I registered him as a 6th grader again and have used the correct grade (at least by how schools would consider him ever since).  They didn't seem to do any checking between grade and age.

As far as portfolio goes, my son was 12 and was taking Apologia chemistry.  We used their tests and so I photocopied 2 or 3 of his tests that he had completed with my grading on it.  He was also doing either Algebra II or precalc (I can't remember which now) and I photocopied a few pages of his daily homework assignments.  They said they were looking for stuff written in the child's handwriting showing work 2-3 grade level ahead and that is what I had on hand.  Nothing special, just the everyday work he did for me.  I had stressed about that part because my son doesn't do anything showy, Nothing that would be video taped,  He's not creative so no pretty projects, he hates writing so he wasn't going to do any special work just for this.  So I just took what we had and figured either it was good enough or it wasn't.  I wasn't going to put my son through something extra that he wouldn't enjoy just to try to impress someone I never met to get in.  Once I came to that decision it was easy to do a portfolio.  I just presented him as he was and math is his thing even if it isn't glamorous to look at. He got in so I assume it was good enough.  They never really comment on the materials so it's hard to say if it's good enough, more than enough, above and beyond, or not nearly enough.  The answer is either yes or no.  Not saying anyone else had these thoughts but it was hard for me so I thought I'd share in case others struggle with what to send.

Portfolio- I had my son do his math homework and recorded it.  We sent a video of his computer programming.  We also sent a video of him just talking about computer programming and math- off the cuff.  I uploaded the videos on you tube and sent them the link.

For DD's portfolio - 

1. handwritten & illustrated novella from age 6 - I read somewhere they prefer handwritten, unedited samples

2. self-published, typed & illustrated 100+ page novel from age 9

3. algebra exam from age 10

4. Galapagos handwritten & illustrated research project from age 6

5. Egypt typed research project from age 7 

6. animated youtube videos narrated in foreign languages from age 9

Nothing was created specifically for the application. It was stuff we had kept for our own amusement. DD is creative and enjoys projects. Projects from younger years were indeed easier to identify as being above grade level. During the "welcome" interview (after she was accepted), the consultant mentioned her novel so I guess that made an impression.

Our samples. Nothing was marked or graded in any way, shape, or form, not even the math.

Several writing samples age 6-8, some handwritten, some typed, (which also overlapped history and literature)

Math work age 7-8, up to quadratics, including a photograph of a piece of the paper on a Macaroni grill table, where she'd been playing with Fibonacci numbers while waiting for dinner to arrive.

Several links to scratch projects, including one illustrating plate tectonics and a game teaching negative numbers. None of these had been school assignments,

A written piano composition and a short video of her discussing a concept she'd discovered with her piano teacher and then improvising using it on the piano (this last was the only thing created for the portfolio-her piano teacher knew I was going to record and see if we got anything useful. In practice, though, she usually has something new that she's figured out that she wants to show off each week, so it was pretty much a slam dunk that I'd get something!)

A detailed field study/journal on a STUFFED snake. (This was apparently the most notable piece in her portfolio), including field notes, dated observations, sketches, anatomical studies (which showed she was very, very, VERY aware of terminology and was using it correctly), range maps, and, eventually, a taxonomic designation and the justifications as to how she had come up with it. This was a last minute inclusion. She'd been playing in her room for probably a good week or more about the time I was putting the portfolio together, and, the day before I submitted it, proudly showed off her report and asked if I could scan it so she could send it to Dr. Jeff (the professor who was letting her sit in on his zoology class remotely). I decided to include it.

Photographs of The Odyssey in lego form, with her captions identifying each piece on index cards. (age 7, I think).

We sent two recommendation forms-one from her group science teacher who had taught her for three years, and the other from her piano teacher who had taught her for 2.

If you have test scores other than the ones required for admission, those can be included in a portfolio. Things like the SCAT, above-level ITBS/CogAT, etc. By themselves they won't suffice but in support of work samples they can help build a picture of an advanced kid.