Menu

Monks & Brother Cadfael

We've watched quite a few with our kids also. You're right to be careful. Some are more ... gory then others. I don't remember which ones to watch for except that the earlier ones did seem to have more gory or dark scenes then the later ones. We've gotten many from Netflicks but our library also has some... so maybe you can preview it?

hth

I much prefer the books! The language is beautiful. The movies take a lot of liberties. We had an older Welsh priest, and he hated the movies because of the pronunciation of "Cadfael." I think he said it is pronounced "Cadvill." I have a beautiful book that discusses all the herbs used in the book. That would make an interesting study.

Michele

:iagree: The books were much better! The movies, especially the second set which were reportedly made after her death, included some of the more dramatic, gory, unjust, and unreasonable aspects of the medieval justice system.

And they were murder mysteries. Murder is less up close and personal in a book than on TV (ie. less nightmare potential).

I, too, would avoid Virgin in the Ice (the movie). Could you read the books? They're not long and the language use is so lovely. She really can turn a phrase. I think the books give a nice balanced view of monasticism in that period. We see humble monks striving to do well, haughty monks that make you want to reach through the pages to slap them silly. There are saints and sinner and everything in b/t.

but the language . . . I love the beautiful phrases Peters uses and how she could make me fall in love Brother Cadfael and a host of characters and places.

There is one, I don't remember the title just now, about two young men that might appeal to a 7th grade boy. Two young men are traveling togther on pilgrimage but we easily sense an antagonism/tension b/t them. You'll find out why they're traveling together, why one bears a heavy cross around his neck, and why the other wants him to doff it so badly.

Really, though, I think the first couple should be read first b/c there is some character introduction that would be spoiled if you read further into the series and then read the first couple later.

I really do recommend reading these. If for no other reason, the language lesson is worth it.