Menu

Recommendations for adult trying to pass TAKS Math to complete diploma

Long story but a good friend has never gotten her high school diploma (blame her mother).  She passed everything but the math portion of TAKS (she is in Texas) and because she was not given the chance to go back and finish her diploma her life is not what she would like it to be.  She wants to go back and pass the TAKS Math portion to get her high school diploma (she does not want to get a GED) and has been told she can do so in May, but she has been out of school for a few years and needs to bone up on the material for High School level math.  It was never a strong subject for her.  I promised her I would try to help, but math isn't a great subject for me either.  After talking with her some more it looks like she is weak on fractions, decimals and place value, but will probably catch back up in those areas with a little review.  I know that she needs to bone up on those before we tackle the more advanced math concepts so I will start with those (and have plenty of resources), but I don't know the best way to prep her overall for the TAKS (math).  She remembers finding some of the questions and structure of the test confusing compared to what had been taught in her classes.  Does anyone have a suggestion for sources I can point her or that I can use with her to specifically prepare her for what she will see on the test?  She has 2 months...

If she has a teacher supply store close by they have test prep guides--that would be a big help.

For brushing up quickly I would work through a guide then use something like Khan academy to remediate gaps in specific areas.

ALEKS would be great--but you would need more than 2 months!

Which High School courses does she need to pass examinations for, so that the high school she attended will issue a diploma to her? She needs to get information from her last school about what they need from her, before they will issue a diploma to her. The requirements for a Texas High School diploma were changed, by the state legislature, during 2013, and that may or may not change the list of examinations your friend needs to pass to get her diploma.

The TEA (Texas Education Agency) releases old examinations on their web site. Those will give you a good idea of what she should expect. However, I suspect that after some years out of school and being very weak in Math, that she is going to need to start with Pre Algebra and then work her way up.

This is the URL for the Testing and Accountability Page of the TEA (Texas Education Agency. I'm not sure about the URL for the examinations they have made Public and will try to find that for you later.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index.aspx?id=2147495410&menu_id=660&menu_id2=795&cid=2147483660

GL to your friend!

ETA: TTUISD has a list of CBE (Credit by Examination) Review sheets on this URL:

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/cbereview/HSCBE.php#Math

Another way for her to possibly satisfy the remaining requirements that her high school has, before they will issue a Diploma to her, would be for her to take and pass CBEs from TTUISD.  Or, to take the courses from TTUISD. But, I doubt that she can complete any courses in 2 months. 

Follow on: This URL has information about Released Tests, etc.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/released-tests/

NOTE: TAKS tests are obsolete. Your friend may need to take a STAAR test instead.

I strongly suggest that the first thing she needs to do is to discuss this with a Counselor in the last Texas High School she attended, and that she request that they provide her, in writing, a list of the requirements she needs to complete, before they will issue a diploma to her.

Also, it may be that she is not ready for Pre Algebra and that she needs to proceed more slowly than she would like, with the goal of getting her high school diploma.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.  Actually, the school told her she just needs the math portion.  Is there more than one math test?  I will look at the links in more detail this afternoon after I get through school with the kiddos...

Due to a personal circumstance she just told me about yesterday it looks like she really needs to get her high school diploma by May, if at all possible.  She and I had talked about working through everything over the next year and taking it next May, but since our conversation yesterday this May is apparently a far, far better option for her and her kids if we can pull this off.

I will dig in deeper with everything that was posted and post any questions later.  Thanks again!  Truly!  She is a great person and her mother undercutting her getting her high school diploma has been a huge issue for me and has really affected her options over the years.  We are both looking forward to rectifying the situation, if at all possible.

There were 15 EOC (end of course) examinations required by the State of Texas, for a Texas Public High School Diploma. During 2013, the state legislature lowered that to 5 examinations. How that will affect your friend, I don't know.

I believe in the past there was an exam for Algebra 1 and one for Algebra 2, but am not sure about that and I don't know what will be required of her now.  Also, the state legislature now has several paths that can lead to one graduating from a Texas Public High School, but again, I don't know whether or not that applies to your friend. I suspect it has to do with the date that one began in the 9th grade. What your friend refers to when she says the "Math" part of the test is a mystery to me, because I believe the EOC examinations are for a specific subject. It isn't like taking the SAT or ACT, which cover a variety of subjects.

She needs to get very clear information about what she is lacking, from a Counselor in the high school she wants to graduate from.  That, IMHO, is where she needs to begin. Not with you looking for information about a test that may no longer be given or that she doesn't need to take.   

GL to her!  Wonderful that you are trying to help her!