Menu

Algebra Choices

I've perused Rainbow Resource's algebra options and don't really feel like paying for any of them. I know I can probably pick up an old school textbook at Goodwill, Ebay, or Amazon for much less. I think my father has his old college Algebra books in a closet somewhere, although they completely confused me when I was a kid. Is there any reason I shouldn't just find an old textbook for cheap? Math hasn't changed, right? If I remember correctly, my old algebra books had the answers to odd problems in the back, so even if I can't find the teacher's manual, I think we'd be good. I remember a lot and think I could teach it if I refresh myself as we go along.

If this is a bad idea, can someone tell me what sort of problems I'd run into?

The main issue I am having is that the textbooks aren't labeled neatly Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Precalc. I see Beginning Algebra (does that mean Algebra 1 or preAlgebra), College Algebra (Is that PreCalc or Algebra?), and Intermediate Algebra. What does it mean?

I hear ya. Even though ds10 is not ready for Algebra yet, I planned ahead and researched all this beforehand. I'm planning on doing Dolciani's Pre-Algebra: An Accelerated Course's odd problems (this after completing MM6) with MM 7 worksheets, then going into Foerster's Algebra as per Maria Miller's and David Chandler's recommendations. David Chandler is the instructor on http://mathwithoutborders.com, a site where he sells DVDs that go with the texts. On here he explains why he thinks these texts are better. Maria Miller also has reviews on different Algebra and beyond texts on homeschoolmath.com. 

I'm toying with the idea of doing Integrative math, which would translate into MW Algebra, Tue Thu Geometry, and Fri Probability and Statistics as per CrimsonWife's recommendation in a different thread.  

That said, the books recommended by David Chandler are

Paul A. Foerster’s Algebra 1: Expressions, Equations, and Applications (Algebra 1)

Geometry: A Guided Inquiry by G.D. Chakerian et al.

Paul A. Foerster’s Algebra and Trigonometry: Functions and Applications (Algebra 2)

The 3rd edition of Foerster’s Precalculus with Trigonometry (Precalculus)

I believe College Algebra is a requirement when you do introductory college courses in math, or any core courses in general.

Most texts that I'd consider using are actually labelled Algebra 1, Algebra 2, etc.  It all depends on the author and publisher.  For example, there's more than one series by Lial so that would be one where you'd need to do a little digging into which is the right one (e.g. by searching or asking on the high school board).

If I were using a traditional text, I'd probably use Foerster (AFAIK, all the editions are virtually the same), Jacobs (used copies are a little too expensive these days, IMO) or the Dolciani "Algebra 1" that is between mid-80s and early 90s such as this one (which I have) or this one (which I don't have but I think it's a reprint of the other one).  The different editions of different series of Dolciani texts on Amazon get very confusing from the 80s onward - there's another series called Algebra Structure and Method, Book 1 and Book 2 (I have these also, LOL).  The problem is that Amazon links the editions all together sometimes, but not always, including the reviews for books published decades apart, in at least one instance.  When clicking on the front page link to used prices, it's important to also click on "return to product information" to make sure it's the edition that you want, and not some other year, or a teacher edition, or weird workbook, etc.

This was the one I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Structure-Method-Book-1/dp/0395977223/ref=pd_sim_b_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=09GB4ZN3TG4DKK6XWG5Q (don't everyone go buy it!). It looks very much like what I remember using, so I was leaning towards it based on familiarity. I wasn't sure, though, because it said Book 1. Is there a book 2? Do you know anything about that one?

This was the one I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Structure-Method-Book-1/dp/0395977223/ref=pd_sim_b_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=09GB4ZN3TG4DKK6XWG5Q (don't everyone go buy it!). It looks very much like what I remember using, so I was leaning towards it based on familiarity. I wasn't sure, though, because it said Book 1. Is there a book 2? Do you know anything about that one?

This is Structure and Method Book 1 and what DS used on his first spin through Algebra 1. DS is using Book 2 now for Algebra 2 and Trig.

ETA: DS used Geometry from the same series, with Jurgensen, Brown, Jurgensen as authors.

ETA 2: Oh, we found book 2 on Amazon. Here are the ISBNs for the books we used:

Algebra Structure and Method Book 1 (The Classic): 9780395977224 (Algebra 1)

Algebra and Trigonometry Structure and Method Book 2: 9780395676103 (Algebra 2)

Geometry: 9780395771204

Look at the green book titled Algebra and Trigonometry at the bottom of the amazon page that you linked. That one is the corresponding Alg 2 text.

Book 2 should be on Amazon somewhere for sure.  Here is what I have:

(1986) Book 1, 0395352495

(1988, 1986) Book 2, 0395430542

(1989, 1986) Algebra 1, 0395430569

(1989, 1986) Algebra 2 and trig, 0395430585 (same as this)

The (2000) Book 2 that goes with your Book 1 should be this one, I think: http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Trigonometry-Structure-Method-Book/dp/B0028ICI2K/ref=sr_1_22?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393880779&sr=1-22

Thanks! So, books 1 are Algebra 1 and books 2 are Algebra 2; not books 1 are Algebra 1 first semester and books 2 are Algebra 1 2nd semester? And then, we'd need a separate Geometry which would not necessarily need to be in the same series.

(whoa, I just found a link to videos for Jurgensen from another thread here)

Would you mind posting it up here? I'm expecting geometry issues in the future. I am horrible at it!

OP, the only real difference in math curriculum that I know of is a shift in older text toward proofs and being able to write up how you know that the answer is correct. In the last 50 or 60 years that has fallen out of practice. Integrated math appeared as a big theme a bit ago and depending on the kid can be great (my kid) or horrid (me). None of the math is different. Same subject, same problems. It is just a different way to approach it. Any book should work and if the one you pick is causing total issue, standard texts from the '90s can be found on amazon for totally cheap.

from this thread:

Video lectures to go with Jurgensen Geometry

My dd looked at the text and said no way; she wants to use AoPS. Still, it looks like a good, traditional text. I like to have back-up texts just in case :)

That is exactly what it is for! My son is bound and determined to do AoPS. I'm sweating it. Tucking the traditional text into the drawer just in case.

The main issue I am having is that the textbooks aren't labeled neatly Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Precalc. I see Beginning Algebra (does that mean Algebra 1 or preAlgebra), College Algebra (Is that PreCalc or Algebra?), and Intermediate Algebra. What does it mean?

I asked a similar question on the H.S. board and got these helpful answers: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/505347-confused-about-lials-algebra-sequence/

Beginning Algebra is Algebra 1.

Intermediate Algebra is Algebra 2.

College Algebra and Trigonometry together generally constitute Precalculus.  College Algebra is sometimes (rarely) called Algebra 3.

Regards,

Kareni