Menu

suggestions for something for almost 3 and 5 yo to do together?

throughpagesandfields

My little one is much more, I guess "capable" than my first was at 2 years old.  I'm doing K with the older next year, but I'm trying to find something I can do as just a little part of our day that both could participate in.  We're pretty Charlotte Masony - so except for tons of educational experiences and being outside a lot I haven't been too scheduled or planned up until now... but I feel like the little one is ready for some more focused or themed activity... Older's year is mostly planned out... 

I've never used FIAR... I thought about trying BFIAR for them both together?  I know I could come up with stuff myself... but I'm mostly designing the rest of their curriculum... and I have a full plate next year... so I want something that's just sort of fun and open and go...

Sorry if this has been covered a lot.  I can usually find a thread that asks exactly what I want to ask... but couldn't this time!  :)

I have a just turned 3 year old and a 5 year old. We tried FIAR, but dropped it due to the baby, now 11 mo.

The stories were fine, but most of the activities were beyond a 3 year old, though he enjoyed them.

My 3 yo. boy does not like structure, so we don't do too much, including him in hymns and prayer, crafts- cutting, coloring, play dough, and doing songs with hand motions and exercises together when my daughter needs a 15 min break.

He recognizes all the letters & knows primary sounds, recognizes numbers 0-9 and can do some kindergarten math just from watching his sister. But he won't do any of this if I try to sit him down formally.

Thank you for writing!  I have a feeling she'll be one who just picks up stuff from watching the older one and I.  She'll sit with us and participate for a bit, then wander off and find mischief...Right now I'm planning on trying to do some song/finger play, morning basket kind of time that hopefully she'll like.  Maybe I should just pick a letter, shape of the week...  Just something that felt like "her" time... I guess I can plan something.. it just sounds so nice having something that I don't have to plan!  :)  I might try to get better at doing crafty things that she could join in with...  I'm not always good at getting those things done and planning for them.  

BFIAR could work. We never used it, so I have no experience personally, but I know that on the FIAR FB page or forum, that's the answer you'd get if you asked that question.  It gets asked a lot. ;) We are happy FIAR users, but that's definitely 4-5+, not for 3yos.  There is a full downloadable unit on the FIAR website that you could try and see if it's what you're looking for. I think it's for Goodnight Moon? Seems like a book that most everyone has, so it makes a good trial. http://fiveinarow.com/before-five-in-a-row/

http://www.kristinscraftsforkids.blogspot.com

Prepackaged craft kits for preschoolers.  Each craft comes with a book suggestion (or two) and an extra activity that you could do to enrich the experience.  It's not really "school-y" but would give your younger DD something special to do without the formal schooling aspect.

My ds tagged along for mfw k when dd was 5 and he had just turned 3. He did everything but the seat work and it was great. We also did BFIAR with him but kept it simple since he was already doing mfw k as a tag along. I think BFIAR would be perfect for the 3 year old but probably too simple for a 5 year old. You could have a 3 year old tag along with FIAR but expect them not to get everything the older one does.

How about process-based art?

The book, Creative Art for the Developing Child is a gem. Each child could work at their own level. For the younger, it's basic shape/color/fine motor and expression. For the older, it's an introduction to the elements of art, and a good chance to work with a variety of materials. There's no right way for the art to turn out, as it is art, not craft; art comes from inside the child and is not product-oriented.

Some ideas:

(By month)

September

Shape--Circle

Color--(emphasize) Red

Book--Mary Wore Her Red Dress

Art experiences:

Easel (large brush) and fingerpaint with red on plain paper (always finger paint on a cookie sheet or tray, then press a sheet of paper on the painting gently and lift to make a print, instead of painting directly on the paper)

Cut a circle out of the paper leaving a hole,  and offer paint (any color)

Circle collage--use circles made in various sized and cut out of construction paper on any color paper--you can add other circles, like reinforcements stickers, but they are hard to work with. Older will probably make something, younger will just enjoy the circles and gluing.

Red collage--glue various red objects to a paper plate (circle)--puff balls, red bottle caps, red scraps, an old red pencil or crayon stubb, etc.

Oct:

Yellow/Orange

Shape: Square

Book: Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf

Art Experiences:

Finger paint with yellow and red to make orange

Roll an orange around a shoe box using red or yellow or orange paint on red/yellow/orange paper (color depends on paint choice, cut the paper to fit the bottom of the box

Square collage on a square (cut various sizes of squares out of different construction papers, scrapbook paper, foil, newspaper, etc.

Cutting (for older)--cut on the lines--go around a square getting smaller and smaller but not cutting off anything--makes a kind of spring when you get close to the center--this is fun with a circle, too. Little one can cut, too, just snipping, or tearing and then gluing the pieces to a square.

Nov

Colors: Brown and Blue and Green

Shape: Pennant (like a triangle but sideways--leads to sequencing by size and makes a nice abstract cornucopia)--call it a triangle, though.

Book: something Thanksgiving-y is nice, and so is Little Blue And Little Yellow

Art Experiences

Finger paint with blue and yellow (makes green)

Blue, yellow, red circles of several sizes glued to a pennant. Older one will probably sequence by size, but no one has to

Print circles of the various colors on a pennant shape using shallow paper plates with toilet paper tubes

Food prints: apples, celery, pears, etc make good shapes for printing placemats. Use a bright yellow and nice clear RYBO colors.

Dec

Shape: Triangle

Color: Green/Purple (Obviously this is suited to making Christmas trees and Christmas stuff, but you can do silver and gold, or whatever is in your tradition)

Book: nothing specific

Art Experiences

Collage on a triangle

Easel paint or floor paint on a large triangle

Finger paint to make purple

Do you want me to go on? Is this helpful?

Drive matchbook-type cars on large pieces of paper; where they cross you can see the colors combine

We did MP JrK with DD1 when she was just turing three and it was a hit. Very open and go, I just skipped the crafts (but I'm just not animal/book theme crafty kind of person). It's set up for two days a week and not too overwhelming but a decent introduction. Learn to identity and write letters and numbers (0-20). Plus great book choices and discussions.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/463949-reviews-for-memoria-press-jr-kindergarten-and-kindergarten/?do=findComment&comment=5524143